[SOLVED] Where is this whirring noise coming from?

May 13, 2020
So I've been having this issue with my PC since yesterday or so.

As soon as I power it on, it begins making this whirring noise. It's annoying, but not excessively loud. The pitch doesn't change, it stays constant. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from, this is my problem - although it seems to be closer to the PSU than my HDD. Also, all my parts appear to be running at normal temperatures.

Running 3D games doesn't change the sound at all - leading me to believe it is NOT the CPU.

Keep in mind that I've had this PC since late 2017. Is it just time to get a new PSU ?

Here's a video of the noise

Solution
I'm not able to play the video, but from your description I'd consider the fan inside your PSU is failing.

Remember that opening a PSU is potential dangerous even not connected to mains - if you're considering swapping the fan yourself !
I'm not able to play the video, but from your description I'd consider the fan inside your PSU is failing.

Remember that opening a PSU is potential dangerous even not connected to mains - if you're considering swapping the fan yourself !

Reactions: AHHB00
Solution
May 13, 2020

Thank you for the response, yes I believe it might be due to the PSU fan as the noise seems to be coming from that area.

I don't plan on opening it up, I'm considering just replacing the PSU with a new one.