Where might the issue with my system lie?

hupsuennustaja

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
Hi,

Posting this issue here since I looked for some answers on these forums when deciding on parts for my first build. Sorry if I come across as ignorant or stupid since I'm pretty much a newcomer to the PC building/gaming community and the transition isn't going over quite as smoothly as I thought it would.

I'm having an issue with my pc: it shuts down at times when i try to play games. It's fine when I browse the web and watch some Youtube or HBO but when I get to games the pc turns down either instantly or after a little while. I've read about this being an issue with insufficient PSU power, but the power supply I got for my build (Corsair CX-550M) should have had around 100 watts of headroom for my build. I decided to try out a friends power supply (a 600 watt one from Cooler Master) and my pc still shuts down while gaming. I can sometimes play for a while before my pc turn off and sometimes it's nearly instant.
I don't know if it's related or not, but I sometimes get and info box saying ''Default Radeon Wattman settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure''. Not sure whether this has something to do with my GPU (which I'd assume since it's in the radeon driver software) or my PSU (wattman maybe has something to do with power draw and such?) doing something weird.

I'd really appreciate any help I could get since i'm kinda bummed as I thought I was well prepared with a well-rounded first build and things aren't working the way I thought they would :/

My build:
Mobo - MSI Bazooka B350M
Cpu - Ryzen 5 1600
Gpu - Gigabyte Aorus RX570 4gb
Ram - Corsair Vengeance LPX 8gb (2x4) 2400mhz
Ssd - Kingston SSDNow 120gb (for OS and some basic programs)
Hdd- WD Blue 1tb for rest of the files

Solution

If you tried reinstalling driver, there is probably no reason to try that again, unless you have reason to believe that current install got corrupted.
As for Aourus software, it's worth the try, but I doubt it will help (but do this anyway). Because if all this fails, all points towards hardware failure. In such case, you should try your GPU at another comp - if it causes similar issues, that would be strong indication that it is the source of your problem.
First step, as always, remove GPU driver with DDU and do the clean install again.

If your PSU is that new, grey-labeled CXM version, then indeed it should be able to power your system without problem. However, before I blame your GPU, one question though: what kind of GPU-control apps you run, aside from Wattman? Because sometimes running multiple apps (say Wattman and MSI Afterburner) at the same time creates software conflict, which can occur in problems you described.
However, if you run only Wattman, it would still be proper to disable it first. If that won't solve your problem, I'm afraid that would mean your GPU has an hardware issue.

hupsuennustaja

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017

It is in fact the newer model of the CXM series and for that reason I thought it'd be sufficient.
I also have the Aorus Graphics Engine installed which I use for changing the led colour on the gpu. The strange thing, however, is that I haven't touched Wattman yet there's some issue with it.

I've already reinstalled the driver but the problem hasn't been gone away, perhaps I should try reinstalling the drivers again or uninstalling the Aorus graphics engine software in case it's conflicting with the amd software?

If you tried reinstalling driver, there is probably no reason to try that again, unless you have reason to believe that current install got corrupted.
As for Aourus software, it's worth the try, but I doubt it will help (but do this anyway). Because if all this fails, all points towards hardware failure. In such case, you should try your GPU at another comp - if it causes similar issues, that would be strong indication that it is the source of your problem.

Solution