Question Where should I buy a Custom Prebuilt?

Jun 3, 2019
Im in a pinch, at 39 aand with 5 kids I absolutely have no time or the physical ability to build my own... even though I know I should and can. I made the mistake of purchasing from IBP. The motherboard used in my brand new system, two weeks out of the box had been registered with ASUS about 14 months ago...
OBVIUOSLY a remanned board in what should be a brand new computer.
I will be soaking the cost to return it and have discovered that very possibly this is how CPPC and IBP make there money off of 30 unconditional return policies, simply use the pieces returned. I will be rueturning the PC momentarily and have very little trust in Custom Builders at this point. Given my lack of software knowledge and a horrible injury to my back and pelvis, Im not in a spot where I cant build my own.
Im currently running an AW Aurora r7 with an i7 9700k and a GTX 1070ti. In a few months (maybe a year) this system, due to a lack of compatibility with non dell parts, will not be competitive.
I also realized that AW's proprietary software for optimization and updates is a really big deal in my world.
Thus, I come to a crossroads... where the hell do I buy. I am really tired of AW as I spent 3k on my R7 expecting to be able to upgrade the GPU and RAM... neither can physically fit in the tower thanks to AW VERY custom building... too custom if you ask me, custom enough they did it on purpose.
I have narrowed it down to maingear or Xidax. I know I am paying a premium of roughly +25-50%, at the tier of system I am looking at. But at the end of the day, its worth it to me to have a bit of piece of mind, and someone to call when the software gets weird,
I am still open minded, but knowing CYberpowerPC is almost a mirror of IBP, and neither have Customer Service skills to boast of, so giving them my money isn't a choice. I would personally rather pay more to people that want my business, than pay less to people who could careless.
Any advice would be helpful.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There are quite a few companies out there that do way more than iBuyPower or CyberPowerPC. Digital Storm, Main Gear, Origin, Falcon Northwest, Puget Systems.. to name a few. Puget is more focused on business and enterprise, but they offer very upgradeable chassis.

You can also do some more searching for even higher end custom builders.

Honestly, recycling used parts isn't that big a deal, as long as they honor their warranty. I just don't like their typical part selection, not much of a step up from Alienware or any of the other OEMs.

Jun 3, 2019
Honestly, recycling used parts isn't that big a deal, as long as they honor their warranty. I just don't like their typical part selection, not much of a step up from Alienware or any of the other OEMs.
I have heard this several times, but to me its blatant robbery.
I paid almost $4K for a new system. Not a new PC to me, that was remanned IDK how many times... but an untouched, never had wire burned or a program issue mobo. and Im not talking like a simple mobo. an ASUS ROG Maximus XI... I think it was a $200 upgrade... aside from that, the onboard wireless on that board sucks, lol.

You have a system with a i7 9700k and a GTX 1070ti now and you want to replace it? Why?
You said something about changing RAM and video cards, nothing I see in pictures of that case would stop you if you wanted to.
And the Alienware software you can simply not use, you can get any drivers you may want directly from their support site.

Does not seem you need do change anything here to me. Your system is fast enough for any game and will be for several years.

Jun 3, 2019
If you got 5 kids, and their age is reasonable, it would be a great way to bond with them if you built one involving them.
you can do it, and the kids may enjoy it - as long as they are not 2 years old :D
oh totally, don't get me wrong, I am in another tab looking for kits as we speak, lol.
But as it will be there first project, and Im working in a patchwork, Im not sure this workspace is safe, table etc. Im not looking to go Highend on there first build. MSI has a nifty kit I saw the other day for around $400 that has an i5 and low end GTX.

My budget for the PC that im wanting at this point is for ME and considerably higher. Not something I want to gamble my kids first build on. :)

oh totally, don't get me wrong, I am in another tab looking for kits as we speak, lol.
But as it will be there first project, and Im working in a patchwork, Im not sure this workspace is safe, table etc. Im not looking to go Highend on there first build. MSI has a nifty kit I saw the other day for around $400 that has an i5 and low end GTX.

My budget for the PC that im wanting at this point is for ME and considerably higher. Not something I want to gamble my kids first build on. :)

You state $400 - so is that US or not?
Otherwise if it is not, what website do you normally buy from in your country?

Jun 3, 2019
You have a system with a i7 9700k and a GTX 1070ti now and you want to replace it? Why?
You said something about changing RAM and video cards, nothing I see in pictures of that case would stop you if you wanted to.
And the Alienware software you can simply not use, you can get any drivers you may want directly from their support site.

Does not seem you need do change anything here to me. Your system is fast enough for any game and will be for several years.
I know it seems Im pretty upto date, and after returning this one I will likely pump my brakes and wait until e3 at least.
I will clarify that regardless of what AW posts in there gallery, you cant fit diddly in there.

My first thought was to add another 1070ti and bridge them... the bridge wont fit. The side of the chasis is literally millimeters from the internals. the airflow is absolutely HORRIBLE. if I stacked the vid cards, the top would vent onto bottom, directly above the PSU (im talking 1-1.5 cm). there is no way that stays safely cool.

As for RAM, its kinda hiding in there, honestly if messed with it enough I could probably get 2x16gb in there, but its not going to be as easy as pull and stick. There is ALOT in the way, one of them being the coolant line for CPU. I can see the discussion with Dell tech support now on that one.

As for why I want more power...
It really seems like that build should be pro... MWO chops at max graphics, so does SC2, and Elite Dangerous. I have recently found and fell in love with Dead by Daylight, I get a similar issue. If I turn the graphics down its great.

In MWO they are starting to put out maps that really utilize graphics, Hibernal Rift for example leaves you directly blind and having to use IR to see. MW5 will likely be more intensive and far more enjoyable with an RTX bar none.
Cyberpunk 2077 recommends a minimum of 32gb ram, minimum 16. Wolfenstien Youngbloods is going to utilize ray tracing and I think they recommend a higher than average RAM also.
Honestly there is a plethora of reasons to upgrade this, but I can fit what I want in here.

Make no mistake though, the way AW has everything designed in there is very well placed, maximizing the power to space ratio, for lack of a better explanation. This is not bashing AW, I am considering them also, but realize I will likely bump into the same problem down the road. AW reminds me of a BMW, or worse a MINI Cooper. Hella awesome, hella strong, and hella cramped under the hood lol.

Jun 3, 2019
NXZT was actually on my to look at list, do have any experience with them? Pricewise they seemed a little overpriced for what they were offering, Xidax had far better components, just FAR fewer options to choose from

Jun 3, 2019
yes Im in the US, I have purchased from IBP, Alienware, and HP.
But there are a lot to choose from, I have narrowed it down to Maingearpc or Xidax with a few others in mind.
I figured I would groupthink the ideas I had and see what experiences others have had.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, I play MWO and haven't had issues with a GTX1080 even at 1440p@144hz, that is not that much faster than a 1070Ti. I obviously don't reach 144 FPS all the time, but still perfectly playable.

I water cool both the CPU and GPU, so maybe you have some throttling on one or the other. What class of water cooler?

Getting a pair of cards is a terrible idea. A single RTX2080Ti would be the reasonable route to take if you want to improve performance.

Maybe replace the CPU cooler completely and then you could deal with the memory.

If you are after keeping your warranty and all that, you are in the wrong hobby to be wanting to upgrade constantly.

For the money you will lose on replacing a nearly new system with a higher end one, it's a bit silly to do all that work instead of dropping down a level or two in quality. No one notices an extra 50 leaves or more shiny on trees unless you are playing slow paces games and stop to look around.

You can get a faster video card, but replacing the system would be a big waste of money. It's like buying a car then going to the dealer in 6 months to trade it in because the sun roof does not open fast enough and the new model has it opening in .5 seconds faster.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I realized that I typed out a very lengthy response to this thread, only to delete it all and simply respond with a simple statement:

I hope you determine what is best for your personal situation. It sounds like you have some priorities to work out.

Jun 3, 2019
ok i started prebuilt this december, ill keep it short and sweet-

get the cheapest one with the BEST GPU you can afford (I bought the HP omen obelisk when they accidentally were $1600 with an RTX 2080 and I78700 lol, that computer now has a 2060, but on sale its worth buying that one).

IF IF IF you ever decide to update, BAM free rtx 2080 mobo cpu ram wiring, all u need is case and fans, and its all aesthetic at that point so you could run stock ones.

Jun 3, 2019
let me add that i think my rtx 2080 is overkill. The one game that I play that uses ray tracing is COD 4 and, while it looks great, most of my time is on hearthstone or netflix so....

I went from a prebuilt to this, and thats the same darn gpu AND top case fan (small black no-rgb one). Ive used so much of the prebuilt wires and initally the mobo too. get dell hp omen, or anything intel + rtx (rtx 2060 is perfect price and performance imo)

]
SPOILER]

Jun 3, 2019
Getting a pair of cards is a terrible idea. A single RTX2080Ti would be the reasonable route to take if you want to improve performance.

this is so right that develpoers are claiming that games will no longer eve support sli bridges. chicken and egg tho, either way, hes right, and devs wont make games that work with it so dont even fantasize about it anymore.

Plus you would need a 1200W PSU, just get an rtx 2080 with a 750-850W BBBUUUTTTTT

your thread asks wherre, i say best buy. The guys there are pc illiterate, but the CORPORATION has a no questions or "I didnt like it" return policy that cant be beat.