Where should I place it ? (Standoff)

H3llF1re1000

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
Hey guys. I'll be building my pc soon, but my case has 10 standoff holes and there are 8 standoff isntalled out of 10, the case came with an extra standoff which makes it 9 but I dont know where i should place the last standoff, I dont know which place would support the mobo better, I have the
AsRock z97 Extreme 4 mobo (sry for my bad english) , I uploaded a pic to imgur to show u the 2 holes where i can install the 9th one but like i said I dont know which hole would suppoert the mobo better plz help. Thanks!!!

Image : http://imgur.com/BEySXMR

Whowever told you that is wrong. Installing a post where one shouldn't be could fry the motherboard, but missing posts certainly won't.

H3llF1re1000

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014

I placed my 9th standoff on the right hole (u can see from the pic)

^whs - only use standoffs where you have a screwhole on the board itself.
Some boards have 6/7/8/9 /10 standoffs - it depends on the board itself.
DONT EVER install a case standoff where there isn't a hole in your actual board for a screw - that's a sure way to short or fry something!

You didn't read the whole thread. The OP doesn't have enough standoffs and he was wondering where it should be installed.

He didn't say anything about the board having 10 holes - looking at pics of it it does though.
I'd personally leave the red ringed rear one out & use the front the near the drive cage .
Its unusual not to get enough standoffs with the case - are you sure none came with the motherboard as well??

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
put the stand-off on the left side where the expansion slots are. for the other spot (where most likely the giant ATX power connector is), stick a block of balsa wood or chunk of wine cork under it for a larger support piece. don't use styrofoam, just wood or cork.

H3llF1re1000

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014

yes im sure

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I think they were definitely wrong too - but I for sure would not install a standoff where one doesn't belong, I agree with you there.