Question Where should I put the 4.0 (SSD), on Windows 11 or on programs like Blender and VScode + file storage?

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
hello, I have to insert 2 x NVMe SSDs in my build, I can only put 1 M2 pcie 4.0, so I would like to understand if it is more appropriate to dedicate the 4.0 to running Windows 11 (and Linux, dual boot) and that's it (I would take it from 256 or 500 gb) or if it is better to dedicate it to storing game files and programming and design programs on which I would do a lot of writing. In other words, where do you feel the most from the 4.0 difference? (although I realize it is minimal). On Windows 11 or on Blender programs vs queues, games and files?

What are your TOTAL capacity requirements EXCLUDING "game files"?

I'm thinking of Windows 11, Linux, plus all installed programs plus all "data"..................excluding gaming stuff.

Do you tend to install any "Windows" (non-Linux) programs anywhere but C?

Is it advantageous to you at all to keep Linux on a totally different drive, rather than on the same drive as Windows?

USAFRet

Titan
hello, I have to insert 2 x NVMe SSDs in my build, I can only put 1 M2 pcie 4.0, so I would like to understand if it is more appropriate to dedicate the 4.0 to running Windows 11 (and Linux, dual boot) and that's it (I would take it from 256 or 500 gb) or if it is better to dedicate it to storing game files and programming and design programs on which I would do a lot of writing. In other words, where do you feel the most from the 4.0 difference? (although I realize it is minimal). On Windows 11 or on Blender programs vs queues, games and files?
OS on the 4.0 drive.

Games? Exactly zero difference.
Blender rendering? That is all CPU and RAM. Writing out the final render to the drive takes exactly the same time.

Reactions: Grealish01

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
OS on the 4.0 drive.

Games? Exactly zero difference.
Blender rendering? That is all CPU and RAM. Writing out the final render to the drive takes exactly the same time.
Thanks:) then i will take a samsung 980 pro 265 gb only for windows 11. but i think windows 11 with updates will always get a little heavier?

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
What are your TOTAL capacity requirements EXCLUDING "game files"?

I'm thinking of Windows 11, Linux, plus all installed programs plus all "data"..................excluding gaming stuff.

Do you tend to install any "Windows" (non-Linux) programs anywhere but C?

Is it advantageous to you at all to keep Linux on a totally different drive, rather than on the same drive as Windows?
What drives will be in this system?
games, machine learning programs (neural networks), but more programming and design, normal apps Word whatsapp Spotify browser, stored files, Windows 11 and linux. the build is ddr5 with i7-12700 and a s9300x2 gpu (2 mi8 stuck so to speak / 2 Radeon R9 nano)