[SOLVED] Where to buy a GPU heatsink for 1060? Just a heatsink upgrade

tracker45

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
The closest thing I found was an arctic accelero mono plus - however all out of stock.

So where could I buy a heatsink? Ebay, newegg etc all seem to give no good result.

Solution
for a 1060 really anything will do, even a cpu cooler with an adapter kit will do, the memory isn't clocked high enough to require cooling.

If it were me, function over form without form being any type of relevance I have to suggest strapping a 120 MM case fan on form a reputable brand that makes quiet fans that move a fair amount of air... yate loon and nauctua come to mind. If you were willing to go with that accelero mono... looks surely aren't a concern

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Which GTX 1060? It really matters. OEM cards tend to be tiny and will not fit large coolers. Blower cards will generally be reference in which case most things that claim GTX 1060 compatibility will likely work.

Arctic Accelero line is somewhat common. You could just find a dead parts card and grab the heatsink off of that (after confirming it will fit)

Kraken G12 which lets you slap a CPU AIO onto your GPU.

Universal water blocks from EK and the like. They won't cool the whole card though, just the GPU. And you would also need a custom cooling loop to go along with it.

tracker45

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Which GTX 1060? It really matters. OEM cards tend to be tiny and will not fit large coolers. Blower cards will generally be reference in which case most things that claim GTX 1060 compatibility will likely work.

Arctic Accelero line is somewhat common. You could just find a dead parts card and grab the heatsink off of that (after confirming it will fit)

Kraken G12 which lets you slap a CPU AIO onto your GPU.

Universal water blocks from EK and the like. They won't cool the whole card though, just the GPU. And you would also need a custom cooling loop to go along with it.

it's an OEM 1060 HP

Basically I wanted the accelero mono plus but they have been out of stock for months. They just disappeared from the internet

for a 1060 really anything will do, even a cpu cooler with an adapter kit will do, the memory isn't clocked high enough to require cooling.

If it were me, function over form without form being any type of relevance I have to suggest strapping a 120 MM case fan on form a reputable brand that makes quiet fans that move a fair amount of air... yate loon and nauctua come to mind. If you were willing to go with that accelero mono... looks surely aren't a concern

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The bad thing about OEM GPUs is they sometimes have non-standard hole spacing for the cooler mount, so that might be a challenge.

But if it is just that cheap aluminum extrusion, heck, there are better versions of that out there, going back ages.

Performance PCs keeps a stock of all kinds of VGA cooling solutions, kind of hit or miss what might fit though:

https://www.performance-pcs.com/air-cooling/video-card-coolers.html

Interesting, but probably too big:

https://www.performance-pcs.com/air...oling-accelero-extreme-9800-accelx9800-d.html

tracker45

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

Any idea which CPU cooler could fit onto the board?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you can measure the hole spacing on the screws that hold the heatsink on, maybe. Not exactly a common thing they list on coolers outside of the manufacturer's spec sheet. Computer parts are by socket type, and GPUs generally change somewhat from generation to generation.

Don’t pay for a heat sink for that card. Linus had a video a few years ago where he zip tied 2 120mm noctua case fans to the card and plugged the fans into a motherboard fan header and controlled them through the bios.

Its your money to spend, but a 1060 isn’t a super expensive card. I’d try function over aesthetics I think until you can replace your card with a higher end one.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That works on cards that already have decent heatsinks.

The OEM 1060 has practically nothing, just a simple aluminum extrusion.

I would not pay 72 pounds for that cooler from Amazon. If you could get it mounted I'm sure it would work quite well.

Try ebay, look around for non-working GTX 10 series cards and pick up a few on the cheap. Really after the heatsink, you can always get fans if they don't work either.

tracker45

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
That works on cards that already have decent heatsinks.

The OEM 1060 has practically nothing, just a simple aluminum extrusion.

I would not pay 72 pounds for that cooler from Amazon. If you could get it mounted I'm sure it would work quite well.

Try ebay, look around for non-working GTX 10 series cards and pick up a few on the cheap. Really after the heatsink, you can always get fans if they don't work either.

I just realised some old cards like the gts 250, 8800 gtx have some decent coolers.

I could get the card for 20 pounds and take off the cooler.

In the USA, it appears the gts 450 can be had for about 35-40 dollars. Could be a possibility as well.

Got to thinking, there are videos where people put cpu coolers on gpus, so if you have an old cpu cooler in your parts bin maybe it could be modded to fit.

Last edited: