Where to buy antannae?

None of the local stores carry Wi-Fi antannae. Where's a good place
online?

Thanks!

--Dave

Dave Navarro <dave@dave.dave> wrote in message news:<MPG.1aef75a51b62739a9897f8@news-40.giganews.com>...
> None of the local stores carry Wi-Fi antannae. Where's a good place
> online?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Dave

Where are you located? Ebay has good panel antenna if you are in the
states, I am in Canada and allways buy from either tranzeo.com or
dbperformance.com they both carry a wide selection and have great
products.

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

Newegg.com has them. Look under the category - accessories - wireless.

Al

"Dave Navarro" <dave@dave.dave> wrote in message
> None of the local stores carry Wi-Fi antannae. Where's a good place
> online?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Dave

www.FAB-corp.com

helpfull, fast turn around.

I have purcahsed a few things from http://www.hyperlinktech.com

--
---

In article <c64uhr$f0c$3@blue.rahul.net>, dold@WhereXtoXb.usenet.us.com
says...
> Dave Navarro <dave@dave.dave> wrote:
> > None of the local stores carry Wi-Fi antannae. Where's a good place
> > online?
>
> I have purcahsed a few things from http://www.hyperlinktech.com

Thanks. It looks like a good site.

However, I'm a real newbie at this. What I need is a recomendation on a
..g router and an indoor antannae.

The router will sit in an office and we'll drill a hole through the wall
to mount the antannae on the other side in the main dining area.

I was thinking of a LinkSys .g router. But I'm not sure if you can hook
up something like this antannae:

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/hg2409p.php

which looks like it will work with the 75% arc.

--Dave

Dave Navarro <dave@dave.dave> wrote:
> However, I'm a real newbie at this. What I need is a recomendation on a
> .g router and an indoor antannae.

> The router will sit in an office and we'll drill a hole through the wall
> to mount the antannae on the other side in the main dining area.

I use free reflectors to get a good signal in my house where the naked WAP
was unstable. I used to be able to get a signal with my laptop on my lap,
but if I moved, or set it down alongside me to read something, the link
would drop, breaking telnet/ssh connections. With the reflectors, the link
is stable in that end of the house.

http://www.freeantennas.com
I used the EZ-10 corner reflector, because I had some difficulty forming
the parabola, and the EZ-10 was enough gain for me.
< http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/SMC/EZ10-strength.htm >

--
---

Coz

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002

you need to try the router before you do this - unless the wall has lots of
interference, you wont need and anteanna ...

In article <RzAhc.186603$Pk3.111687@pd7tw1no>, coz@nospamcoz.com says...
> you need to try the router before you do this - unless the wall has lots of
> interference, you wont need and anteanna ...

There are 5 walls between the router and the cash register area. And a
kitchen with a microwave.

--Dave

Thanks! Do you recommend the "omni directional" antennas?

http://www.wlanparts.com/category/omni_antennas/

--Dave

In article <IKWdnePxx_z3Qhvd4p2dnA@speakeasy.net>, la@pasadena.net
says...

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 02:31:19 -0400, Dave Navarro wrote:

> Thanks! Do you recommend the "omni directional" antennas?
>
> http://www.wlanparts.com/category/omni_antennas/
>
> --Dave
>
> In article <IKWdnePxx_z3Qhvd4p2dnA@speakeasy.net>, la@pasadena.net
> says...
>> http://www.wlanparts.com
>>

>> "Dave Navarro" <dave@dave.dave> wrote in message
>> > None of the local stores carry Wi-Fi antannae. Where's a good place
>> > online?

Omni-directional antannae are good for when you need that type of RF
propagation pattern.

You know, Dave, that I would sincerely recommend that you hold off on any
equipment purchases for a couple of weeks so that this would give you time
to go down to your local public library, and do some basic research on RF
propagation theory. Wireless gear is becoming commodity in price, so
you're unlikely to make erroneous purchase decisions which will squander
*THOUSANDS* but still, you can make costly errors, and small business
often run on tight profit margins.......Can you afford to make mistakes
which can cost hundreds of dollars?

Heck, if you can't take the time to do this, then hire yourself a
competent consultant and/or contract out the job!

vg

In article <MPG.1af281c4822c66e7989802@news-40.giganews.com>,
Dave Navarro <dave@dave.dave> wrote:
>In article <RzAhc.186603$Pk3.111687@pd7tw1no>, coz@nospamcoz.com says...
>> you need to try the router before you do this - unless the wall has lots of
>> interference, you wont need and anteanna ...
>
>There are 5 walls between the router and the cash register area. And a
>kitchen with a microwave.
>
>--Dave

You didn't say how big the room you want to light up is.
We'll assume it can be covered with one PA.

"5 walls" is a long way for WiFi RF. The thinner coax cable (appx 1/8
inch) will loose most of your signal over that distance. The thick
cable (pinky thinkness) will still loose some, Both have to be
purchased with connectors, cut to length, unless you have the right
tools and parts.

I suggest you pull CAT5 between the LAN and the room you want to light
up and the LAN yoiu are connecting to. Put the AP in the room. That
way you don't have to mess with antennas, and you can send ethernet
over CAT5 up to 300 feet, which is very expensive to do with RF and
coax cable.

You may already have CAT5 drops to the room you want to put WiFi in.
Just plug the AP in.

If the AP location nowhere near a power receptacle you can power the
AP via the unused wilres in the CAT5 cable (called POE, power over
thhernet.)

This page is a good start for reading about WiFi.

http://nycwireless.net/buildnode_start.html.

Here's how to DIY Power Over Ethernet.

http://www.nycwireless.net/poe/

--
Al Dykes

Dave Navarro <dave@dave.dave> wrote:
> There are 5 walls between the router and the cash register area. And a
> kitchen with a microwave.

My preferred couch location is about 15 feet from a microwave. The
microwave doesn't cause any noticeable interference, even if I am right
next to it, according to netstumbler.

--
---