Question Where to buy by web a Toshiba Satellite L845-SP4146KL battery (original or compatible)?

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
Hello friends.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L845-SP4146KL laptop where the battery passed away, right now the laptop is working through the AC Power Adapter Charger.

My uncle is coming from USA to my country. So I want take this opportunity to buy either a new original or compatible certificated battery, but in Amazon, I did realize that does not appear results about battery - only about "AC Power Adapter Charger".

Therefore, pls, in what page my uncle would buy the desired battery.? It such as Amazon, through a credit card and delivery. If you have some links to share about specific products, please share it.

Thanks for your understanding.

Solution
I assumed there are generic batteries...
Yeah... no.

Each and every laptop manufacturer makes their own, proprietary batteries. This is to ensure that people buy their batteries, not cheap knock-offs, that can explode during usage.

Then, there's the issue of patents. Every battery design is patented and if e.g Toshiba would want to use e.g Asus batteries, only good thing would be that same battery is compatible with both brand laptops. But downsides are several. To name the few:
1. Toshiba has to ask permission from Asus, if to use their battery design.
2. Asus can say "No" to this.
3. If Asus says "Yes", deal is made on royalty tax. Meaning how much Toshiba has to pay to Asus, per battery sold, increasing the battery price...

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
Thanks for the reply.

>Does it has to be Amazon?
He uses that mostly that.

About the first link, thanks, but that is based on ".eu" - I am going to try with the USA region according with the right top option. BTW Did you buy from there? Either eu or usa

About the 2nd link let me see if is correct.

Just a friend told me about "https://www.newegg.com" - Do you have references of them?

Thank you

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
About the first link, thanks, but that is based on ".eu" - I am going to try with the USA region according with the right top option. BTW Did you buy from there? Either eu or usa

What's wrong with EU? I happen to live in EU and find it a great place where to be. Also, like i said, they also do international shipping and they even have warehouses in USA.

Just a friend told me about "https://www.newegg.com" - Do you have references of them?

Egg is only for Canada and USA markets. And while they do some international shipping, it is very limited. E.g only to 2 countries in EU.
Due to that, i haven't bought anything from Egg (they don't ship their stuff to most of Europe) and i have 0 experience with Egg.

Also looked and didn't find that battery from the Egg.

Toshiba Satellite L845-SP4146KL

The thing with EOL hardware is, that you do not have the convenience of buying it's spare parts from big retailers and/or your preferred stores. If you want the spare parts, you have to buy from the stores that still carry the spare parts. Most often than not, only option would be 2nd hand market (e.g E-bay) and it's quite rare to find spare parts as brand new.

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
What's wrong with EU? I happen to live in EU and find it a great place where to be

Nothing at all, but my uncle lives in USA so if he can buy the battery in the same country would be great. Later he comes to my country with the package.

Also, like i said, they also do international shipping and they even have warehouses in USA.

The second part is an important consideration.

Egg is only for Canada and USA markets. And while they do some international shipping, it is very limited

Understood.

Also looked and didn't find that battery from the Egg.

Yes, sadly I did realize of that problem too.

The thing with EOL hardware is, that you do not have the convenience of buying it's spare parts from big retailers and/or your preferred stores. If you want the spare parts, you have to buy from the stores that still carry the spare parts. Most often than not, only option would be 2nd hand market (e.g E-bay) and it's quite rare to find spare parts as brand new.

Yes, I am agree, but I assumed there is a 3rd party company that makes compatible certificated batteries. Perhaps you known that recommended manufacturer.

Thanks for your understanding.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I assumed there are generic batteries...
Yeah... no.

Each and every laptop manufacturer makes their own, proprietary batteries. This is to ensure that people buy their batteries, not cheap knock-offs, that can explode during usage.

Then, there's the issue of patents. Every battery design is patented and if e.g Toshiba would want to use e.g Asus batteries, only good thing would be that same battery is compatible with both brand laptops. But downsides are several. To name the few:
1. Toshiba has to ask permission from Asus, if to use their battery design.
2. Asus can say "No" to this.
3. If Asus says "Yes", deal is made on royalty tax. Meaning how much Toshiba has to pay to Asus, per battery sold, increasing the battery price for consumers.
4. Also, Toshiba has 0 say on the design of the battery (e.g capacity). Asus dictates the battery specs.

All-in-all, using someone else's design, is often more complex and expensive, than designing your own and selling it without any strings attached.

When it comes to batteries, i'd rather buy official/certified batteries, despite them costing more, than cheap knock-offs. With cheap batteries, there's no telling if they actually hold the charge claimed (e.g 5000 mAh on box but full battery contains only 3000 mAh), if their durability is good (cheap batteries usually won't last long) and if they are safe to use (plenty of cheap batteries get swollen or even explode).

Reactions: Manuel Jordan
Solution

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
Ok, the laptop is doom, but I am going to buy a small UPS to give time to shutdown the laptop in peace and not lost information. Of course, the laptop is used in my home.

Thanks for your polite feedback.