[SOLVED] Where to buy MSI TPMs?

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Hello everybody, ever since Windows 11 was announced, I've been looking for the TPM chip, and I did find two, but they are sold through resellers and not via official stores such as Newegg or Amazon. I mean, that's where I've been looking for one, but only resellers sell them there. As a result, I can't find a good one.
Now, I know I can install Windows 11 without TPM and it'll update just fine. But probably until the time. Also, I have a good ton of questions about it, but maybe about that some other time. For now I'm looking for one.

So, I found one on Newegg marketplace, but they seem to have sold out all of them. $60 a piece. That's crazy... Also, I found on Amazon, also for $60 a piece, but there's $10 shipping. While MSI at their online store has them out of stock for $37. You feel the difference? So why not contact MSI store directly and ask them? Well, it's still out of stock on their website, and there's no guarantee they'll make one for me only. There should be a demand, you know.

As a result, I have to ask here... Also, why not on MSI forum? I tried, but I can't register there.

So the question is, what do I do in this case? Is there any way I can get the chip? Or the only way for me is to buy it from resellers on Amazon for almost twice the price? It's like with GPUs now, how awkward it didn't sound.

Solution
Hello everybody, ever since Windows 11 was announced, I've been looking for the TPM chip, and I did find two, but they are sold through resellers and not via official stores such as Newegg or Amazon. I mean, that's where I've been looking for one, but only resellers sell them there. As a result, I can't find a good one.
Now, I know I can install Windows 11 without TPM and it'll update just fine. But probably until the time. Also, I have a good ton of questions about it, but maybe about that some other time. For now I'm looking for one.

So, I found one on Newegg marketplace, but they seem to have sold out all of them. $60 a piece. That's crazy... Also, I found on Amazon, also for $60 a piece, but there's $10 shipping. While MSI at...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most of the changes between Win10 and Win11 are cosmetic, not performance, and currently in the case of AMD are actually performance loss to the tune of 15-25% loss, so unless there's some sort of necessity to update to 11, I'd stick with 10 for the foreseeable future, it's good until 2028? I believe. Either way, no rush.

Modern motherboards are already TPM, it's only the really old, like 3rd gen Intel boards that aren't, and some few oddballs, so you may want to look at the motherboard support site to see if you even need a TPM. My old MSI Z77 was not compliant, but did have a dedicated port for such, my Asus Z77 did not, and was not TPM compliant. $37 isn't bad, last time I looked up the one to fit my MSI it was $90. Might even be brand specific fit / proprietary, not sure.

Scalpers did also unfortunately target the TPM market in speculation for increased demand.
https://www.windowscentral.com/psa-scalpers-are-hoarding-tpm20-modules

With the global chip shortage already in full swing, its riding in their favor for now. A shortage won't last forever though, so it will eventually come to an end and they will be forced to take a hit once the market does correct itself.

Personally I don't find Windows 11 appealing and it is still buggy at its current state. There's no real incentive to upgrade until the next 5 years at least.
5 years is also enough time for a silicon fab to be established and start adding to the supply.

Endre

Reputable

So, I found one on Newegg marketplace, but they seem to have sold out all of them. $60 a piece. That's crazy... Also, I found on Amazon, also for $60 a piece, but there's $10 shipping. While MSI at their online store has them out of stock for $37. You feel the difference? So why not contact MSI store directly and ask them? Well, it's still out of stock on their website, and there's no guarantee they'll make one for me only. There should be a demand, you know.

As a result, I have to ask here... Also, why not on MSI forum? I tried, but I can't register there.

So the question is, what do I do in this case? Is there any way I can get the chip? Or the only way for me is to buy it from resellers on Amazon for almost twice the price? It's like with GPUs now, how awkward it didn't sound.

Why do you want to buy a TPM 2.0?

In order for your PC to be Win11 compatible, the minimum CPU requirement is:
8th gen Intel or Zen 2 AMD.
These CPUs already have a TPM 2.0 inside.

If you’ll put a discrete TPM on your motherboard, but your CPU is too old, your PC will still be unsupported.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Solution

What CPU and motherboard do you have?

If your systems built with a recent AMD processor look for a platform security section in BIOS and enable the fTPM. If you've a system built with recent Intel CPU look for a PTT or Platform Trust Technology setting and enable that, Both the fTPM and PTT are a fully functional TPM that's internal to the respective processors.

If your system is recent and those settings are missing check your motherboard's support page for an updated BIOS to see if they fixed it. Otherwise, your system may be too old or simply incompatible for Win11. Win10 will be around a while yet and remain the equal of Win11 (once they fix it's problems)...with the exception of the annoying UI changes...so no reason to worry it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Endre

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I have i7 8700K and motherboard is MSI Z370 SLI Plus. So do I just go into BIOS and enable this PTT? And that's it? That easy? Also, if it's that easy, I'm planning to upgrade sometime in the future, so is there any way to suspend protectionin Windows 11 temporarily while I move the SSD to a new rig? Like, I want to keep my drives, but most other stuff would be upgraded. If, of course, GPU prices stabilize more or less...

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
OK, so... next question. Hopefully, last one. But we'll see...
So, I enabled the 8700K's built in TPM, which is set to be TPM 2.0, UEFI, Secure Boot enabled (at least, System Information reports it is enabled)

So I should be good to go, but Settings say it's still not compatible. What's wrong? What else does this stupid thing need?

Endre

Reputable
So, I enabled the 8700K's built in TPM, which is set to be TPM 2.0, UEFI, Secure Boot enabled (at least, System Information reports it is enabled)

So I should be good to go, but Settings say it's still not compatible. What's wrong? What else does this stupid thing need?

Hello!

Win11 requirements:
  1. BIOS: You must disable CSM/ Save/ Restart.
  2. BIOS: Enable Secure Boot/ Save & Restart.
  3. BIOS: Enable Intel PTT/ Save Restart (to check status in Windows: open Run, type in “tpm.msc”/ Enter: it should say: “TPM 2.0”).
  4. GPU: DirectX 12 compatible.
  5. RAM: 4GB minimum.
  6. Storage (SSD/ HDD): 64GB.
  7. Display resolution 720p (minimum).

ADVICE:
Update your motherboard’s BIOS to the latest non-beta version.

WARNINGS:
•Backup your data before updating the BIOS.
• Load the BIOS optimal defaults before updating the BIOS.
•Don’t use any external tool to update the BIOS! Just put the BIOS file on a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive, insert it in a USB 2.0 port. Restart PC. Press continuously key: “End” (or if it doesn’t work, press: the “Delete” key). Follow the instructions on the screen and choose “Intact” instead of “Fast” update.
•If you’ll have a power drop while updating the BIOS, you might end up with a bricked motherboard!

I hope these infos help you...

In addition to the advice @Endre offers you may have to change your system drive from MBR to GPT before you can disable CSM and enable Secure Boot.

This should do that if it's necessary:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

Reactions: Endre

miha2

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
OK, so... I'm not sure why it was saying it was incompatible. Now it's saying I just have to wait until they prepare Windows 11 for my rig, like, probably drivers and stuff. Other than that, it's ready to go. So I will install Windows 11 sometime soon, thanks to everybody who answered, and sorry to have been rude