Question Where to buy Windows 10 at a discount (Feb. 2020) and do I need to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conticreative

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
I am rebuilding my computer and I have Windows 10 installed. It was an upgrade from Windows 7.
I am unclear as to the procedure to install a clean install of Windows on my new rebuilt computer since I am changing motherboard, CPU and even the hard drive.
I am also going from Intel to AMD and I am not sure if, at least temporarily, my new machine could booth up from the old SSD to the new PCIe SSD I'll be using.

This is the first time that I come across such a conundrum and I have read about OEM Windows 10 pro being possibly a headache.

As a matter of fact, I have several Former Win 10 serials that were updated to Windows 10 in laptops that are now either broken or I no longer use. Some Home Edition, some Pro.

If I don't have to buy a new Win 10 license, it would be great. If I do need a new license, I'd rather not pay full retail.
I do have a Linux Laptop, but I am a bit unhappy about it, so I am not going to run Linux on my new machine (possibly as a dual booth but each OS will have a separate HD).

What are my options?
Thank you

SilhoU

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015
That is almost certainly a no.

I actually had success with reactivating my old license whilst upgrading from an Intel to an AMD based build. After a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 from a USB device, I was able to reactivate Windows 10 using my original Windows 8 installation media key. I wasn't able to activate it through digital entitlement through my Microsoft account, so I suppose I got lucky with not having to repurchase a license. If you have your original Windows 7 key, then I would attempt to use that when reactivating your license.

If, however, that you do find yourself in a situation that you are unable to reactivate your license, there are lots of "gray market" sellers on eBay. Though I haven't personally tried this, another member of my household has had luck with his recent build, and had no issues with activating his license through the key purchased on eBay.

USAFRet

Titan
I actually had success with reactivating my old license whilst upgrading from an Intel to an AMD based build. After a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 from a USB device, I was able to reactivate Windows 10 using my original Windows 8 installation media key. I wasn't able to activate it through digital entitlement through my Microsoft account, so I suppose I got lucky with not having to repurchase a license. If you have your original Windows 7 key, then I would attempt to use that when reactivating your license.

If, however, that you do find yourself in a situation that you are unable to reactivate your license, there are lots of "gray market" sellers on eBay. Though I haven't personally tried this, another member of my household has had luck with his recent build, and had no issues with activating his license through the key purchased on eBay.
The license is one thing.
That is quite commonly transferable.

The actual install, as he commented, it highly unlikely.
Full wipe and reinstall.

The cheap grey market on fleabay and elsewhere?
Just...don't.

conticreative

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
What are you rebuilding?
Is your current Win 10 license linked to a MS account?

Yes, it is linked to a MS account. In fact, both my laptop and desktop are linked to it.
Also, the original Win 7 was an OEM license that came with the computer built. I upgraded to Win 10 when they were offering it for free.

BTW, AFAIK they still offer the upgrade for free to users with disabilities. I did that on another laptop (and I do have a disability, parking sticker and all, just not sure if they'd approve of it). At least they did until recently.

I also have another laptop that formerly had win 7 and I updated to Win 10. They laptop belonged to my wife and one day simply stopped booting. I installed Linux on it and she has since inherited a newer laptop from her father (long story), but I could use that key as well.

For the record, my intention is to do a fresh install. That's what I don't know. Can I transfer my old license? It's the same computer, but the guts are all new.

Is there a place where I can check what serial numbers are connected with my microsoft account? That may clear things up.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

I was also able to utilize the original Windows 7 key to activate upgrades to 10 with some Dell boxes I got to 'refurb'. Was super happy about that.

As to the grey market keys. If you are doing this for your own use and have no issue with the possible ethical and moral ramifications of doing so that is your own decision to make. Keeping in mind that you well could lose money or have an "activation" change status some months down the road. I think there are some arguable points concerning the retail pricing of Windows products and the amount of free data collection they do on us...but that's a whole other subject with various possible alternative OS solutions that aren't in the same moral quandry.
If you are building this system for someone else, and particularly for profit DO NOT use grey keys.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, it is linked to a MS account. In fact, both my laptop and desktop are linked to it.
Also, the original Win 7 was an OEM license that came with the computer built. I upgraded to Win 10 when they were offering it for free.

BTW, AFAIK they still offer the upgrade for free to users with disabilities. I did that on another laptop (and I do have a disability, parking sticker and all, just not sure if they'd approve of it). At least they did until recently.
Not even disabilities.
Any unused Win 7/8/8.1 license will activate a brand new Win 10 install.

conticreative

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Not even disabilities.
Any unused Win 7/8/8.1 license will activate a brand new Win 10 install.
Interesting. Too bad I don't any Win 7 left to cannibalize.
The more I look into it, the more it looks like I either have to tempt my luck trying my current key, buy an OEM with dubious results or shell out $200.
I am really not happy about it, considering how many dead Windows machines I have owned. At least a legitimate copy will transfer over in case something goes wrong with my new Motherboard, but I'll keep trying until after the new workstation is built. If I recall there is a grace period.

For the record, I don't have many moral qualms about OEM licenses. If I add all the grief Windows has given me over a lifetime.
I seem to remember there was a vendor that had some sort of money back guarantee (or more likely, "keep the money, send new key") in case the OEM license expired or didn't work. Anyone remembers their name?

CitizenSmith

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
Interesting. Too bad I don't any Win 7 left to cannibalize.
The more I look into it, the more it looks like I either have to tempt my luck trying my current key, buy an OEM with dubious results or shell out $200.
I am really not happy about it, considering how many dead Windows machines I have owned. At least a legitimate copy will transfer over in case something goes wrong with my new Motherboard, but I'll keep trying until after the new workstation is built. If I recall there is a grace period.

For the record, I don't have many moral qualms about OEM licenses. If I add all the grief Windows has given me over a lifetime.
I seem to remember there was a vendor that had some sort of money back guarantee (or more likely, "keep the money, send new key") in case the OEM license expired or didn't work. Anyone remembers their name?
I have purchased the odd one or two retail windows 10 keys from ebay for a couple of quid and they work just fine I certainly wouldn't pay that ridiculous price not even if it came with a free laptop lol. check ebay out they work or your money back so pay with paypal.

Status
Not open for further replies.