[SOLVED] Where to connect USB 3 ports in PC Case?

enquirer22

Honorable
Feb 19, 2016
So a couple of years ago I updated my PC with a Biostar A960D+ Micro ATX Motherboard AMD Socket AM3 DDR3. About 6 months ago I updated the case which came with a couple of USB3 slots ports - a Gamemax Silent Mid-Tower PC Gaming case, ATX - pretty nice piece of kit. Anyway it has 2 x USB3.0 slots ports but can't see how to wire these up - do I need a PCi component? - obviously I don't need a hub as I already have the slots ports. Thanks for any help.

Solution
OK so I can't use this basically and need to get a new motherboard - I can't buy an adapter? Or, I guess I buy a hub run them out of the back. To be honest I hardly use USBs anyway.
You could buy a card. But that motherboard is a really low end AM3 and really should be replaced. If you REALLY must keep the CPU and RAM, you could get a much better AM3 used motherboard that would have USB3 ports. But I would not recommend spending money on AM3 hardware. It wasn't that good when it was new and has gotten worse with time.

kanewolf

Titan
So a couple of years ago I updated my PC with a Biostar A960D+ Micro ATX Motherboard AMD Socket AM3 DDR3. About 6 months ago I updated the case which came with a couple of USB3 slots ports - a Gamemax Silent Mid-Tower PC Gaming case, ATX - pretty nice piece of kit. Anyway it has 2 x USB3.0 slots ports but can't see how to wire these up - do I need a PCi component? - obviously I don't need a hub as I already have the slots ports. Thanks for any help.
Where do you connect USB3 with that motherboard? Nowhere. That motherboard doesn't have USB3 according to the specs -- https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=911#specification
I would not spend money on a PCIe X1 card. Save your money and buy a new system.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

enquirer22

Honorable
Feb 19, 2016
OK so I can't use this basically and need to get a new motherboard - I can't buy an adapter? Or, I guess I buy a hub run them out of the back. To be honest I hardly use USBs anyway.

kanewolf

Titan
You could buy a card. But that motherboard is a really low end AM3 and really should be replaced. If you REALLY must keep the CPU and RAM, you could get a much better AM3 used motherboard that would have USB3 ports. But I would not recommend spending money on AM3 hardware. It wasn't that good when it was new and has gotten worse with time.

Solution

enquirer22

Honorable
Feb 19, 2016
Thanks for your help. What would you recommend for a motherboard - would like not to have upgrade the CPU too - it's just office stuff that I use it for? Running a 4300 Quad-core with 8GB RAM