Where to find IP subnet for hosting company?

Solution
No possible way are you going to get a class B block. The only way you get them would be for you to acquire some large organization that has them. Even then it is very messy because of the rules arin has about re assignment. Even if your were a big company going bankrupt...say like sears. You can not really sell the ip blocks separately arin is always involved who gets them.

The last class B block that I heard of being transferred was when Nortel when bankrupt. They had a class b and a number of class c block. A lot of the class c went back to arin. The class B block was split between a number of companies that purchased parts of the company. I know Microsoft got about 1/2 of it but there were lots of temporary transfers...
Jan 10, 2019
I am already leasing my space out........... I need to know where to buy or transfer from since I have never done it before. The space I own is currently being rented and my vendor has no more space.

USAFRet

Titan

Then you need a new vendor.
Of the hundreds of major vendors for this, which ones have you not contacted yet?
Verizon/Cox/Comcast/Rogers/TimeWarner/Amazon/Google/Microsft/etc/etc/etc...all have business sales depts.

Jan 10, 2019
I think you are talking about different things. I work for ISP and one of the project is to buy 1000 IP addresses, we cannot get spaces from other ISPs as we are all competing to get more spaces..... I am not a home user......

USAFRet

Titan

No, I didn't think you were a home user.
If your upstream provider is "out", then you've outgrown them. Contact their upstream provider.

And Verizon/Comcast/Cox will absolutely sell you blocks of 1,000. Or 10,000.
Or however much money you have.

It is a massive undertaking to get a block of ip addresses. I am not sure blocks are even really available anymore.

The minimum block size you can get is a /24. It depends on what part of the world you are in but ARIN is where you get them in many cases.

You will have to prove to them you actually need them. You have to show things like how many domains you have registered to a ip blocks. They want traffic rates to show these ip addresses will actually be used.

It is almost always easier to buy from a hosting company. The downside is if you want to move to another company you can not take the IP with you since you are leasing them and do not actually have them assigned to you.

I really wish I knew how valuable they were 30 years ago when pretty much anyone who was willing to pay the fees could get a IP block.

Jan 10, 2019

To answer your question:
The reason we want to buy IPv4 space is to be carrier-independent, they will only give us a certain amount of space, and are charging a monthly fee. Most important of all, they cannot offer the amount of the space we need.....

Jan 10, 2019

At this point I'd say it is still pretty painful to trasit from IPv4 to v6 based on my research; is your organization already on IPv6?

Jan 10, 2019

I totally agreed with you on 30 years ago. I am aware of transfer requirement from internet registry; however can you recommend some place to buy from? It does not make much sense in our case to get it from hosting because of the pricing and terms is usually for lease only, and we are the one allocating IPs to them.

You best bet is to approach the huge ISP. You are going to have to get interconnection agreements from multiple ISP anyway. Most as part of a package deal let you use ip blocks they own. Many will let you announce the blocks into other ISP as though you own them. I know level3 used to be a little easier to deal with than say verizon but now that they have been purchased by centurylink I don't know. Zayo is also a very large ISP that is not as commonly known as say ATT,sprint,verizon, etc.

Jan 10, 2019

Have already tried that route but seems like no one is selling, just leasing. The subnet has to be under our organization's name entirely, not assigned, due to certain legal requirements for the project. ISPs will not work though...

USAFRet

Titan

First, invent a time machine.
Use it to go back in time to before all the IPv4 addresses were bought up.

Only slightly kidding.

MERGED QUESTION
Question from jmccarthy90278 : "Need to get a hold of a Class B ARIN block"

Please stick to one thread for this topic.

No possible way are you going to get a class B block. The only way you get them would be for you to acquire some large organization that has them. Even then it is very messy because of the rules arin has about re assignment. Even if your were a big company going bankrupt...say like sears. You can not really sell the ip blocks separately arin is always involved who gets them.

The last class B block that I heard of being transferred was when Nortel when bankrupt. They had a class b and a number of class c block. A lot of the class c went back to arin. The class B block was split between a number of companies that purchased parts of the company. I know Microsoft got about 1/2 of it but there were lots of temporary transfers that lasted only a number of years for some of the other companies.

Solution
Jan 10, 2019

I only wish there is a time machine! :D

Jan 10, 2019

Just curious where you know so much about it? Do you know any brokers/sellers in the industry?

Many years ago I used to work for a ISP. The last job I worked for many years was a huge company that had a lot of internet connections and many private blocks they obtains when it was simpler to get. I am now retired so I just log in here.

My best recommendation is to try level3. Not sure what happened when they were purchased but they still operate as level3...for now at least.

They only sell to ISP and large corporations not end customers. They had more ip blocks than any of the more well known ISP. We used to deal with them all the time because they control a lot of the undersea fiber since they purchased global crossing.

You can also search for what is called a tier1 ISP. There are not a lot and it is these companies that actually make up the internet and everyone directly or indirectly buys from them

Jan 10, 2019
MERGED QUESTION
Question from jmccarthy90278 : "We are looking to buy a /19 IPv4 block, can anyone suggest a good resource?"

I have been trying to find on internet and things are a bit confusing as far as where to buy; anyone has done this and have any suggestions?