[SOLVED] Where to find Windows 10 product key?

Navitus

Reputable
May 7, 2016
Hello, all!

I built my computer a few years ago and I bought Windows 10 from Walmart. It was a USB drive that I booted from. That was several years ago and I'm not sure where that package or USB drive is. Is there any way for me to find out my product key?

If I ever wanted to do a fresh install of Windows I'd need that product key, but I'm not sure where to find it. It's got to be somewhere on my computer. Does anyone know how to find it?

Thank you!

Navitus

Reputable
May 7, 2016
For a reinstall on that same system, you do not need the license key.
When it asks, skip that and continue on. It will activate itself when it goes online later.

But, to retrieve that license key, Belarc Advisor.
https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor
Hmm, I'm trying to download Belarc Advisor, but for some reason it's not working. I have to fill out a form with my email and first name and I'm supposed to receive a download link. Any idea what's going on? Have you ever had this problem?

EDIT: Forget what I said. I used a different browser and it worked. Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

CitizenSmith

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
Hello, all!

I built my computer a few years ago and I bought Windows 10 from Walmart. It was a USB drive that I booted from. That was several years ago and I'm not sure where that package or USB drive is. Is there any way for me to find out my product key?

If I ever wanted to do a fresh install of Windows I'd need that product key, but I'm not sure where to find it. It's got to be somewhere on my computer. Does anyone know how to find it?

Thank you!

I found a script and tried it out seems to work ok I have tried it on 3 machines and no problems I also confirmed key was correct with Windows 7 manager which also gives you that info but it's paid software.
I made one and dropped it on three machines does not seem machine dependant so can use same script on various machines.
Just copy the text below and paste it into a text file on your desktop and save as ( all files) and label it ( productkey.vbs ) without brackets then just click it and see your key in new window.
you can try on old machine first to give yourself you peace of mind if your worried about scripts...... I saw something similar on this site as well if you prefer to obtain one from source!.
https://www.techspot.com/guides/1760-find-your-windows-product-key/
copy and paste text below.

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
Cur = Cur Mod 24
x = x -1
Loop While x >= 0
i = i -1
KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
i = i -1
KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
End If
Loop While i >= 0
ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
End Function

Apr 1, 2020
would i be able to use the key for my current windows 10 on this laptop on a new laptop? note that it was originally 8 and got a free update to windows 10