Question Where to get Corsair Obsidian 1000D fan trays?!

Mar 30, 2022
Hey, guys.

I'm building a new system in the Corsair Obsidian 1000D case. I've been building systems for 30 years, but this is my first liquid-cooled build and the buzzword for this build is "overkill". I've spared no expense or extravagance in building this system, but I'm running into clearance issues with my radiators/fans. I chose to go with the default tray configuration, so I put 2 x Corsair XR7 480mm radiators along with 16 x Corsair QL120 fans on the front tray and 1 x Corsair XR5 420mm radiator along with 6 x QL140 fans on the top tray. With everything assembled, the front tray went in just fine, but when I tried putting in the top tray, the front-most bottom fan up top won't clear the top fans on the front. Even if removed the one offending QL140 fan, there would still be no room to run any tubing to the inlets/outlets on the XR7 radiators.

I went back and looked at Corsair's Obsidian 1000D YouTube video more carefully and found that while it looks like they're using the default tray configuration, they're actually using a 4 x 120mm tray up top and only placing a 360mm radiator with 6 x QL120 fans in the first three slots, which is how they avoid any clearance issues. So I decided to go with an 8 x 120mm tray up top with 2 x XR5 360mm radiators and 12 x QL120 fans. The only problem is that I can't seem to find ANY trays for the 1000D... like... ANYWHERE.

From searching the web, I've seen plenty of posts indicating that stock issues on these trays apparently date back to 2020. While I can't imagine there's been absolutely no stock in 2 years, this seems to be the standard. I've seen a few 8 x 120mm trays scattered here and there, but they're either ridiculously expensive and/or coming from outside of the United States. The tray itself is supposed to retail for only $10 (https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Cases/Obsidian-1000D-8x-120mm-Fan-Tray/p/CC-8900160), but that doesn't help if it's not available. I found this place over in the UK: https://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Corsair-Obsidian-1000D-8x-120mm-Fan-Tray-black_74154.html. Reasonably priced, but they won't ship internationally unless the order exceeds $150 and it wouldn't ship for three weeks. I found this nice Canadian guy selling it on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/403554214401?hash=item5df5b4a201:g:9l8AAOSwI7ViI9xz. With only three sales to his name, he's selling it for the low, low rate of... $100. And the shipping for this extremely heavy 10-ounce item? A bargain at only $65. Perhaps this is why he has only three sales...

Where am I supposed to find a tray?! They keep building these cases with 8 x 120mm trays in the front by default, so surely they could build a few extra trays???

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Chances are that the demand for these trays(and the case) dwindled down to zero so Corsair decided to not keep inventory of goods that aren't popular. The pandemic has also caused some brands to shift their focus on goods that sell more as opposed to items that might seem to be novelty. Not to mention that the factories in which they're made tend to have a M.O.Q(minimum order quantity). Everyone needs to think about revenue/profit and overall sales of their inventory at the end of the day.

As it stands, of you're located in Canada, might want to hit up Dazmode and see if he can do something for you. Have you also tried reaching out to Corsair and perhaps explained your project to them? I'm sure they'd move mountains to help get their builds see center stage(not sponsorship, I meant getting your build up and running).

Reactions: therealcrash8
Mar 30, 2022
As it stands, of you're located in Canada, might want to hit up Dazmode and see if he can do something for you. Have you also tried reaching out to Corsair and perhaps explained your project to them? I'm sure they'd move mountains to help get their builds see center stage(not sponsorship, I meant getting your build up and running).

Thanks for your reply.

I'm actually in the United States, but at this point, I've expanded my search internationally and I'm willing to order from anywhere as long as the cost/shipping is reasonable. I'd have a really hard time swallowing paying $100 for a $10 part and then paying $65 to ship it. That's just ridiculous. I'll check out Dazmode.

As far as contacting Corsair support, I already have two tickets in their queue, both of which I'm still awaiting a response on. One is for problems I'm encountering vertical-mounting my GPU, and the other is for the clearance issue I mentioned above. I haven't actually mentioned to them yet the fact that I'm now looking for a second 8 x 120mm tray, but whenever they respond, I'll add that bit and see what they say.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
I had an issue with a mislaid HDD caddy for a Carbide 240 Air and contacted Corsair and they sent me one out free of charge. This case was discontinued at the time of asking.

Different case but I would second what Lutfij said above on reaching out to Corsair to see if they can help. They may have some residual stock to be able to help. Worth a shot.

Mar 30, 2022
Well, Corsair finally responded and I told them of my plans that now require an 8 x 120mm fan tray. I asked if they might be willing to pull one out of another 1000D (it is the default front tray that comes with every case). They asked for a photo of my case's serial number and my shipping address, so hopefully that means they might be willing to do just that. We'll see.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If all else fails, go talk to some metal fab guys at bodyshops/weld shops. Some might get a kick out of fabbing up a tray based on the 140mm existing as a template.

Or if you can do any metal fab, make a tray yourself from a oven flat pan.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022
Or if you can do any metal fab, make a tray yourself from a oven flat pan.

I've never tried to do anything even remotely similar to this, though it seems like it would be cool skill to have.

This story does have a happy ending, though. Corsair is going to send me an additional 8 x 120mm tray and they're not even charging me for it. It's just a $10 piece of metal, but the value of the gesture far outweighs the cost of the tray. Really awesome of them to do. They've earned a loyal Corsair customer.

Mar 30, 2022
But the oven tray mod would have been interesting to see lol. 😂

Hahahaha... something tells me it would've turned out something like this:

cookie-monster.png

May 18, 2022
@therealcrash8
I have just come to the exact same point in my build as you… those deceiving pictures, They got me too!

trying to salvage the situation, could it be a possibility also to instead go with a 280 with QL140x4 in push/pull existing 3 pot tray and leave one fan slot blank? Something like a Corsair xr5 280?

is it limited to 1x360 up top with a 4x120 or could it be maxed to 2x360 and 12xQL120s?

Mar 30, 2022
@therealcrash8
I have just come to the exact same point in my build as you… those deceiving pictures, They got me too!

trying to salvage the situation, could it be a possibility also to instead go with a 280 with QL140x4 in push/pull existing 3 pot tray and leave one fan slot blank? Something like a Corsair xr5 280?

is it limited to 1x360 up top with a 4x120 or could it be maxed to 2x360 and 12xQL120s?

I suppose you could go with a 280 + QL140 x4. To do that, you would have to have to order a new radiator anyway, so if you're going for the most cooling bang for your buck, I would try to get an 8x120 tray and get 360 x2 + QL120 x12. That's what I ended up doing. If you do the math:

280 x 140 = 39,200
360 x 120 x 2 = 86,400

You'll get more than twice the cooling, if you don't mind spending a little bit extra. If you've already got 480 x2 + QL120 x16 up front, you might as well go all the way, I say. :)

By the way, I finally posted a video to YouTube of my build if you wanna check it out. I think it turned out nicely:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_joD7EYAUcA

Reactions: DSzymborski
May 18, 2022
Hey that turned out quite nicely! Both of us seem to have gone with a very similar build, I have the same motherboard, 2x 3090s, 12900ks and the dominator ram :)

so decided to give in and go in all the way :D found the 8x120 on Amazon.de. There were a couple of online retailers in the UK but they only do slow mail so paid the black market man on Amazon as the build process is on hold, and it’s taken up all of the dinning table 😂

I will have a second itx system in there with a 5950x and a 6900xt all on the one loop so more rad will be useful. I did make 2 holes in the back of the case just in case the second system would become too much on the single loop and I would then connect external rad/s, ambient here in Dubai can get pretty high

it’ll be 2x360 xr7s up top and 12 ql120s. I’m pretty hopeful I’ll be able to swap the 6x140s towards the 120 with the retailer. I noticed in your video there’s plenty of clearance up top between mobo and fan fans ao the fatter xr7s will definitely fit, I do plan on running tubing over the mobo for mobo whereas you have kept mobo clear and tuning runs in the gap between mobo and too fans

and yes I agree with the comment about the weight of this system once it’s finished, and speaking of which I should really move the build that’s half done to its permanent spot already especially before filling the loop

And thanks for responding so quick!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Math isn't right, doesn't quite work that way.

A 280mm is roughly 300w capacity. A 140mm is roughly 180w capacity. Total 480w ±.

A 360mm is roughly 350w capacity. A 120mm is 140w. X2. Total 640w ±.

That's given the same 30mm thick rads with the same plumbing etc. Going with thicker rads, like 60mm, with dual lines and keyed fins, a 360mm is getting closer to 550w capacity by itself.

And that's not including design features. Some rads are built for lower flow, lower rpm, so getting over 1.5gpm and 1300rpm does basically nada, but has very good curves at 1.0gpm and 800rpm. Some rads are the opposite, long low curves at low gpm/rpm, but crank up the speeds and efficiency skyrockets.

Check out their rad reviews and comparisons. With the right setup of fans and rad, a single 360mm can cool better than a 280mm + 140mm or a 240mm can cool better than a 360mm.

Its not just about surface area, it's how well it's used.

Mar 30, 2022
You make some good points. Aside from the math, though, I have to be honest that when I planned this build, it was almost as much about appearance as it was about cooling and efficiency. In my mind, the more I filled up the rig with equipment and flashy RGB stuff, the better... LOL. And I believe I accomplished that. :)

From a technical standpoint, though, even while I'm gaming and my system is under full load, the coolant temp never even hits 40° C and the mobo/CPU/GPU temps average mid- to high-40s.

Mar 30, 2022
I will have a second itx system in there with a 5950x and a 6900xt all on the one loop so more rad will be useful. I did make 2 holes in the back of the case just in case the second system would become too much on the single loop and I would then connect external rad/s, ambient here in Dubai can get pretty high

it’ll be 2x360 xr7s up top and 12 ql120s. I’m pretty hopeful I’ll be able to swap the 6x140s towards the 120 with the retailer. I noticed in your video there’s plenty of clearance up top between mobo and fan fans ao the fatter xr7s will definitely fit, I do plan on running tubing over the mobo for mobo whereas you have kept mobo clear and tuning runs in the gap between mobo and too fans

Yeah, I bought all of my components from several different vendors. Pretty much whoever had the best deals on whatever. I bought my radiators from Micro Center and my fans from Newegg. Both of them accepted the returns with no questions and I bought the new parts from them anyway.

Also, concerning your putting a second itx system. I know that one of the big selling points of the 1000D is the fact that you can house two systems in it, but I didn't really think much about it. I believe the second system is designed to be set up in the back of the case? The side with the French doors? One thing you do NOT see in my video is that on the other side of that motherboard, it's a giant mess of cables... ha. With 30 fans, there are 60 cables from the fans alone. That requires 3 Commander Pros and 5 Lighting Node COREs. Then there are all the various power cables, USB cables, etc. I was barely able to force those French doors closed (and some duct tape may have been involved... ha) just so I could get the back case panel closed. It's magnetized, so there are no latches or screws to hold it shut. Something to consider.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Thought the second system went in the front section, lower left corner.

Concerning the loop, resistances will be a factor. Too much resistance and a second pump will be advised or your primary will be forcing high head pressure just to move the coolant, which escalates the risk of leaks.

I'd seriously advise you to do some research on rads, the link I posted above is amazing amount of info on loops, rads, fans, do's and don'ts etc. Can't just throw in some cheap rads because they are cheap, the wrong rad will hurt you in ways you'd not see until after it's running.

Regardless of what you see on vids, a well planned and executed loop can easily take 6 months to accomplish. My mITX took better part of a year to put together, I've got clearances of 1-2mm in some components and getting the exact right fittings was at times aggravating. The same system was put together by a YouTube pro in a half hour vid, right as I accomplished it. But he already knew the particulars of the equipment, and had them on hand, I waited months for covid shipping from China for some custom specific parts not available anywhere else.

But who else has 2x 240mm rads in a case the size of a size 10 sneaker shoebox 🤣

Last edited:
May 18, 2022
The itx mobo goes on top of the PSU shroud, you will notice the pre installed motherboard standoffs on it. The second PSU can only be SFF and mounted vertically behind the main PSU, there is a removable grilled panel covering that area on the back of the case.

Phanteks have a great PSU for dual systems, that can power the cooling loop for either of the systems independently. But sadly that’s capped at 1200w and with 3 GPUs and 2 cpus there would be pretty much no headroom left, so I went with separate PSUs for the two systems, I also already the right PSUs so that pretty much predetermine this decision. Phanteks dual system PSU would have been a nicer solution but I think it’s fine for my use case as my itx system would only ever be switched (I’ll have to strictly remember that) when the main system will be on which will also power the pumps and fans.

I agree with you on the cable mess, although there is so much room in the back of this case but I take your point as with only the fans from front rear installed so far I can already see how quickly all that space would get filled up when there are 60 cables from the 30 fans plus commander pros plus psu cables, front I/o etc.. I plan on spending minimal effort on cable management - just so long as i close the French doors - good tip on using tape 🤐 😂

I saw your other comment about looks and rgb bling, must confess those two also became my objectives with this build, I didn’t care much about rgb before but with case as a base oh how quickly I jumped on that bandwagon lol

May 18, 2022
Thought the second system went in the front section, lower left corner.

Concerning the loop, resistances will be a factor. Too much resistance and a second pump will be advised or your primary will be forcing high head pressure just to move the coolant, which escalates the risk of leaks.

I'd seriously advise you to do some research on rads, the link I posted above is amazing amount of info on loops, rads, fans, do's and don'ts etc. Can't just throw in some cheap rads because they are cheap, the wrong rad will hurt you in ways you'd not see until after it's running.

Regardless of what you see on vids, a well planned and executed loop can easily take 6 months to accomplish. My mITX took better part of a year to put together, I've got clearances of 1-2mm in some components and getting the exact right fittings was at times aggravating. The same system was put together by a YouTube pro in a half hour vid, right as I accomplished it. But he already knew the particulars of the equipment, and had them on hand, I waited months for covid shipping from China for some custom specific parts not available anywhere else.

But who else has 2x 240mm rads in a case the size of a size 10 sneaker shoebox 🤣
Do take a look at my overgrown oversized SFF build lol

Ghost S1 tall boy

It’s the same itx now looking for a home inside the Corsair 1000D

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

Front view with the upper rad layed down. I used quick disconnects, so can actually take that rad out of the loop entirely, and still run the loop, just reconnect i/o direct. Custom Iceman res/ddc pump combo outside on the rear. Specifically designed for the nCase, so ordered from China.

Upper rad installed, have 24mm clearance between gpu connect to rad, and 22mm tall swivel 90's. Standard 90's are solid, couldn't turn the second in if the first was attached. Had to use 30mm extension on bottom rad output to clear the gpu edge. To snake around the side of the upper rad I used 10/16 tubing so no chance of kink, but it's tight squeeze and doesn't require kink-springs inline.

Top view, fully assembled. Some posts where ppl complain about lousy airflow just crack me up. I have zero airflow, nothing but natural thermal convection inside a positive pressure case.

So yes, choice of components for maximum efficiency, low noise was important, this thing is silent except under heavy gaming loads and at three feet away even then it's quieter than the ceiling fan on medium.

Oh, one thing I hadn't added yet but thanks to Noctua I had some fan extensions, I plugged one into the cmos reset pins and ran it upto sit on top of the psu. So cmos reset is easy now, just short the extension pins instead. The cmos pins are located next to the ram, so buried under that mass of cables next to the psu.

Last edited: