Where to install my Steam Games?

_danielpwils01

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
A quick question here, might be obvious, but I want to be sure. I built my PC back in January of 2017 with a 1TB HDD and a 240G SSD. I have my OS on my SSD (C Drive) and wanted to install a few choice games to my SSD and the rest to my HDD. The default location of my Steam Games is set to the Program Files (x86) Folder in my C Drive, but I want to change this to my HDD. Does it matter where I install them on my HDD? Can I just make a folder labeled SteamGames and download them there or is it more complicated than that? Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
Don't even need "Steam Mover". That functionality is built right into the Steam client now.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Yes a folder named SteamGames would be fine, or any folder. The only thing you cant do is store games directly on the drive, they have to be in a folder.

Just go to steam in the top left, settings, downloads, then "steam library folder" if you don't know.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover
Steam mover.

USAFRet

Titan
Don't even need "Steam Mover". That functionality is built right into the Steam client now.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties