Where to place Water Cooler (CM Seidon 120V) radiator with this airflow

NunoAntunes

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Hey!
So,I'm currently in the process of building a computer and I kind of am facing with a bit of an issue with the Cooler Master Silencio 550 tower and the Cooler Master Seidon 120V cooler. So my case has a display like this:

image.png

So my problem is that i've heard the radiator should be mounted on an air entrance, to suck fresh air and cool it before it enters. But this particular case has two fans in front pulling air and one on the back expelling hot air. I think there's no way that I can install the radiator on the front because I believe the tubes are too short and i have two massive HDD/SSD grids on my way (although they are removable).

So I'm in a bit of an impasse. Should I install it in the back, expelling hot air, should I revert the airflow, pushing air through the back and expelling it through the front (mounting, in this way, the radiator in the back) or should I install it on the front (and how)?
Also, feel free to jubilate with joy of my glorious paint drawing. :)

I will be very grateful for any help you can provide.
Nuno.

P.S.: This case is quite new so I'm gonna quickly say the major issues I've had with it. I don't say I regret my buy cause I haven't finished the build and I can't assess that yet. Plus, it was quite cheap and it feels like it has a good quality for price. The back window of quick access to the place of the cooler (for easy mounting) is really small or just poorly placed. I've bought asus maximus VII Gene mobo and after installing it, when I was gonna install the backplate of the cooler, it did not fit through the window and i had to pop the mobo out again. It was a bad mistake by Cooler Master... asus maximus is a pretty popular choice in motherboards so they should have tested it before launching the product. The hole where the PSU cable passes to the back of the case could go a little bit further but that's just a detail cause if u're using a modular psu, the cable will not go through the hole if the psu is screwed in place (you have to pass the cable and then put the psu in place). Those two holes could be extended for like 2 cm and that would not happen anymore. I have no idea about the cooling but the case feels somewhat warm-ish because of the padded front and sides. But that, I have yet to test.

NunoAntunes

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

No :c
The case doesn't have an exit on the top. Just those three. Two in the front and one in the back (and ofc some holes below and on the back of the case for the psu).
Thanks for the quick reply

doctorgiggles

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
did you see the link http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-Seidon-120V-RL-S12V-24PK-R1/dp/B00D4EF734/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t. do you see where they have it mounted it looks like right at that back fan. now if they have it as an intake or exsaust i don't know but my guess is that its an exsaust

NunoAntunes

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

Yeah, that case looks similar to mine and I think that's the exhaust of the case. But I don't know if they've reversed the fans or not because I have heard the radiator should be placed on a fan that sucks fresh air. Not sure if it's true or not, though.
Also, I do not have an air entrance/exit on the top of the case, so putting the radiator there is kind of useless x)

NunoAntunes

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
What do you mean on the top? My radiator fits perfectly in the case in front of the fan. I'm just confused with the airflow, since the air goes from front to back of the case and I can only install it in the back fan.
Or were u thinking on putting it like in the middle of the case near the processor?

doctorgiggles

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
make a hole on top of ur case to put it there with fan sticking out.. from what it sounds like.i have also seen radiators have fans on both sides so you can have it as an exhaust with fan being on either side might be what you need or else you might need a different case what i would do is try it out in the back as exhaust and see what kind of numbers you get then you can try as intake and see what you get for mine i have fans on either side of radiator and as intake and my cpu doesn't go above 47c according to Cpuid then the other part tells me AMD FX doesn't go above 30c..and thats with load plus its on quiet mode i have fan profile to hit i think 50c to go 100 percent fans i like things cool.. then again i have 11 fans in my case i have this guy http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FL3Q9I8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

JD Improvement

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014
I have the CM sedion 120v set up in a push/pull configuration out the back port pushing and pulling case air out. Took me some play time to nail down tge sweet spot on settings but this us what im getting with set up as discribed. 12v with push/pull fans, pump at 1200 rpm fans at 1000 rpm. Amd fx6300 3.5ghz oc'd to 4.3 ghz runing at 28-29c at idle and 40-43c under full load with an ambient temp of @ 72f. I do have to think my 12 total fans

JD Improvement

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014
Woops damn cell phone. Anyways, I do have to think my 12 total fans are lending hand to the sedions cause though. I do suggest taking tge tine to fiddle and learn your cooler. I feel every application is different but all results should be posative and rewarding with this cooler. Hope that helps some. Sorry for late add and happy building to all

NunoAntunes

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Thanks everybody for the replies :)
I'm still kind of confused on the way I'm gonna mount it, since this is my first build and this is not the most straight forward thing, but I'm probably gonna chose to mount it on the back as a hot air exhaust, since it's not possible to mount it on the front and I really do not feel like punching holes in the top of my case, as you might understand ^ ^ (that would also imply that I would have to pull the mobo out again, which I do not want to, since I've already had to do that once when I discovered I couldn't install the cooler backplate through the back window).
Thanks again so much for helping me out!
Nuno

NunoAntunes

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

Yep, that's probably what I am gonna do. Thanks for the response :D
Also, it wouldn't be possible to install it in a place to draw cool air, sicne both of those fans are located in the front of the case and this is a model designed to be installed on the back/top of the case.