Question Where to plug case fan

Elad333k

Commendable
May 15, 2019
Hey does it matter where I plug the case fan power connector? to the motherboard Or to the PSU? I have problem of heating in my case and got one 12mm fan I set it on bios on full speed and it run only on 1050 Rpm Its pretty slow it's stock case fan there is anyway to increase it's speed more to around 1600-1800 RPM ?

If it's a 12mm fan, it's way too small.
If it's a 3-pin 12VDC fan, you can plug it into the PSU.
If it's a 4-pin PWM fan, you should plug it into the SYS_Fan header on the motherboard.

If the fan's top speed is 1050 RPM, then you need to buy a fan with a higher rotational speed.

In that vein, I highly recommend the Delta Electronics AFB1212GHE-CF00 (120mm, 12VDC) fan for higher rotational speed.

It appears to be a 3-pin connector with only 2 wires coming off of it.

The wire in the far end terminal position is the negative polarity connection. The wire in the middle terminal position is the positive polarity connection. The fan is a 12VDC unit. You can plug it into the power supply if you have an appropriate connector available, or make an adapter for it, if you don't already have one.

More than likely, though, you aren't going to get any faster rotational speed out of it by plugging it into the power supply.

Best recommendation is to buy more fans, paying attention to the RPM spec the fan has been designed to operate at.