[SOLVED] Where to plug my water pump?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LaurX

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
Hello, guys! So I bought a pre-built custom water loop PC, It's been a year since then and I decided to change the liquid and clean all the tubes etc.
When I saw that my water pump has only 1 (4 pin) connector which connects into MB, I was wondering how to connect this connector directly to PSU to be able to refill my loop...

My PSU: https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Modular-Supply-Platinum-Certified/dp/B00A0HZMEM

I added a picture of pump's connector: View: https://imgur.com/a/3qWVk7Q

Thank you, guys!

Solution
No, it's not.

You are under some misguided notion that you cannot change things. All you need is something that plugs into a molex chain from the psu and any fan connector on the other end. If the shroud is in the way, remove it, it's just a stupid piece of plastic cover. Then plug the pins directly into your pump. Simple.

Just peel that black connector like an apple, leave the pins (core) alone.

The one you already had (from picture above) will work just fine.

LaurX

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
the only thing you really need is a molex with the wires still attached and use ground/power to connect the pins to,
even if its just the wires with the ends a little stripped.
if you dont need one of the psu cables you can even use that.

i would even go so far to just attach ground (fixed) and you would only hold the wire on the 12v pin for as long as you want the pump to run (instead of turning psu on/off all the time).

molex layout

I didn't know you can actually manipulate with those things, but thanks, will give it a shot! You guys teached me a lot, thank you very much!

I will update! :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cool.

Unlike others advice, about leaving psu on and just manipulating plugs and wires, turning the psu off, pulling the plug, removing power totally is a safer method. You are draining a loop, there's always a chance of drips or leakage, splashes or squirts getting out of hand. Murphy's Law. So instead of just popping plugs and leaving active power laying around, pull the plug on the back of the psu, removing any chance of shorts.

LaurX

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
Cool.

Unlike others advice, about leaving psu on and just manipulating plugs and wires, turning the psu off, pulling the plug, removing power totally is a safer method. You are draining a loop, there's always a chance of drips or leakage, splashes or squirts getting out of hand. Murphy's Law. So instead of just popping plugs and leaving active power laying around, pull the plug on the back of the psu, removing any chance of shorts.

I did not peel the plug like an apple as you said but I just pulled out the 2 wires of the plastic plug and inserted them into pumps 4 pin plug. :) Thanks a lot!