Where to plug your monitor


Jan 24, 2008
It is very well possible that I will make myself incredibly ridiculous with this question, but I would like to know whether I have to plug my screen to my motherboard or to my graphic card (GTX 285). The thing is, I bought a pc and when i received it, I plugged the monitor to the motherboard like I always did with my previous pc's. However my screen stayed black so I sent a mail to selling company to claim my warranty.

I've just noticed that there also two places to plug in cables on my GPU, however, they have a different "format" (3 rows of something between 5 and 10 square holed next to a cross shaped thing) than the one on the motherboard and my screen doesn't fit on this type.

So my question is: Is it possible that my screen stayed black just because I need to connect it to the GPU instead of the motherboard?

Thanks in advance
LOL, if you plug the monitor in the motherboard, and somehow manage to make it work, you'd be using the integrated graphics. That's like 100 times slower than the GTX 285. Trust me, you don't want to do that.

You do need to connect the monitor to the GPU. Your GTX 285 has DVI and S-video outputs. Here's a picture:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...ce GTX 285 01G-P3-1281-AR Video Card - Retail

BTW, next time could you just say "DVI output" instead of "(3 rows of something between 5 and 10 square holed next to a cross shaped thing)". It's a bit easier :)

If your screen has DVI inputs, buy a DVI cable and use it. If it has VGA only, use the DVI to VGA adapter that came with your card. If it's a TV with HDMI only, use the DVI to HDMI adapter that came with your card. (I'm assuming it's an eVGA,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130442, other flavors may have different accessories in the box)



And don't feel, "incredibly ridiculous" with your question. We all have to start somewhere! :)

There are currently four primary types of connections on graphic cards. Most cards will have at least two. Some will have three. They are:

1) DSub/VGA - This is a 15 pin connection (count the number of holes) and is usually blue in color. Also the connection is somewhat shaped like the letter "D"
2) DVI - This is the connection you currently have (and described explicitly). It's a digital interface (as opposed to an analog interface like the DSub 15). They are usually white in color, though some cards color the second connector yellow.
3) HDMI - This is the newest connection. It's also digital and looks similar to the letter "D", but there are no pin holes. It's more of a "slot" connection.
4) TV-Out (sometimes called S-Video) - This is old and out-dated. It was used to connect a computer's graphic output to an older TV (if it had an S-Video input). It's generally round with 4 to 7 pin holes.

How your monitor connects to your computer depends on the type of inputs it has. It sounds like your monitor only have a DSub/VGA connector on it. If this is the case, then what aevm suggests is correct. Your computer may or may not have come with DVI-VGA adapter. If not, go back to where your bought your computer and ask for one.

-Wolf sends


Mar 3, 2009
Do not feel rediculous. We all have started somewhere. There is no question that is "dumb" if you do not know the answer. And if you never ask it, you might never know the answer. AEVM and Wolfshadw both gave great answers. These gents are well informed and ready to help. And I in my limited knowledge will help all I can also as will most of the forum members!