[SOLVED] Where to put fans in Define R5? Adding a high CFM fan

Bermuda187

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016
I have a Fractal Design R5 case, with two front intake fans, and one back exhaust. They are GP14 with 68.4 CFM each.. I bought a Venturi fan which is 118CFM and was thinking of putting it on the bottom near my PSU to help cool my MSI r9 390.
Thoughts?
I was considering making the Venturi the back exhaust and the other 3 GP14 in the similar front/bottom orientation to still have positive air pressure.
Note: Case is basically empty besides gpu/cpu/psu with the hard drive bay removed. The bottom/front dust covers are still in place.
Thanks!

Solution
Cooling a gpu is important, but there comes a point of pointlessness. If the gpu is getting a steady supply of cooler air from the intakes already, then more air isn't going to make much difference. Having such a large cfm fan on the bottom isn't going to be of much use as it's airflow I'd directed upwards, 90° to the plane of the intakes airflow. If wanting to just add some cfm that's fine, use a slow fan on bottom so that airflow isn't disrupted, it's still aimed at the gpu.

I'd recommend using that Venturi as the rear exhaust, 2x higher speed intakes at front, 1x slow speed at bottom. Or even pop the top rear silencer and add that fan there instead,

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cooling a gpu is important, but there comes a point of pointlessness. If the gpu is getting a steady supply of cooler air from the intakes already, then more air isn't going to make much difference. Having such a large cfm fan on the bottom isn't going to be of much use as it's airflow I'd directed upwards, 90° to the plane of the intakes airflow. If wanting to just add some cfm that's fine, use a slow fan on bottom so that airflow isn't disrupted, it's still aimed at the gpu.

I'd recommend using that Venturi as the rear exhaust, 2x higher speed intakes at front, 1x slow speed at bottom. Or even pop the top rear silencer and add that fan there instead,

Reactions: Bermuda187
Solution