[SOLVED] Where to start with upgrades?

Jun 16, 2021
I bought a pic second had about a year ago and it been doing everything that I’ve wanted it to do. But I wanna start buying better parts and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on which part I should start with.

PC Specs-
Intel 2500 sandybridge 3.3 Ghz
Asus P8P67 rev 3.0 LGA 1151
Nvidia Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970
500GB ssd
2x8GB ballistix sport1600 ddr3 RAM

Solution
In what way is your current pc not doing the job?

You bought a second generation pc that really is not very upgradeable.
The best cpu upgrade would be a i7-3770K that sells on ebay for about $120.
A more current gen processor is going to involve a new motherboard and likely ddr4 ram as well

What is the make/model of your psu?
If you play fast action games, the GTX970 can be upgraded if your psu permits.
Unfortunately, in today's market that is not easily done.

My best advice is to enjoy what you have and wait to upgrade until your pc no longer does the job.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not how that works. How much are you comfortable, or more so willing, to spend on this upgrade?

Potentially you can pick up a used 3770 / 3770k and drop that in. New CPU cooler maybe. Beyond that not much to upgrade.

Replacing the CPU, Motherboard, Ram, and possibly getting a new storage device would be another option.

Not much chance of easily getting a new GPU. So on that front, see if you can get one first off, then build around it.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I bought a pic second had about a year ago and it been doing everything that I’ve wanted it to do. But I wanna start buying better parts and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on which part I should start with.

PC Specs-
500GB ssd
A new processor, motherboard, and memory but you need to buy them at the same time to use any of them.

In what way is your current pc not doing the job?

You bought a second generation pc that really is not very upgradeable.
The best cpu upgrade would be a i7-3770K that sells on ebay for about $120.
A more current gen processor is going to involve a new motherboard and likely ddr4 ram as well

What is the make/model of your psu?
If you play fast action games, the GTX970 can be upgraded if your psu permits.
Unfortunately, in today's market that is not easily done.

My best advice is to enjoy what you have and wait to upgrade until your pc no longer does the job.

Solution

PC Specs-
500GB ssd
Let's see how well the pc is running now.
Run this and post a link to the results page.
PC Benchmark

InvalidError

Titan
There is no point in buying parts piece-wise if your PC does everything you need it to do well enough for your liking, especially if you aren't getting parts that can be used on their own.

If you start buying things like CPU, motherboard and RAM separately now, you may find out that one of the part is defective after its return window has expired, so you more or less have to buy at least CPU+MoBo+RAM as one set of components.