Where to upgrade from here?

Desertrobot

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
I recently picked up a really nice 1080p monitor and I've been noticing some more lag in games due to the fact that I just came from a lower resolution.

At the moment I have a decent system but I have a lot of extra cash and I'm willing to upgrade some of my components.

I'm rocking an amd 6300 with a gtx 760 and 8gb of RAM

What would be the best thing to upgrade? I have about $600 to burn, and by the time I'm done upgrading I want a significant performance improvement.

Thanks for any suggestions

Solution

nah mate,wasnt going to recommend intel straight out- I asked about the motherboard because many people are runnig 8 cores on crappy low tdp matx 760g boards which makes upgrading /overclocking an impossibility,
Im an amd builder at heart too personally.
Nice to see someone with a decent board for a change
if youre running at stock speeds,then simply look at a good cooler like 212 evo.
get your 6300 upto a stable 4ghz+ overclock & stick a gtx 970 in there.
You could upto a 8 core but I dont...

Desertrobot

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012

Currently I have an amd Msi mobo, it's around 2 years old but it's pretty decent.

I'd rather not have to upgrade to Intel due to the fact that I'd have to change mobos if that's what you're getting at

nah mate,wasnt going to recommend intel straight out- I asked about the motherboard because many people are runnig 8 cores on crappy low tdp matx 760g boards which makes upgrading /overclocking an impossibility,
Im an amd builder at heart too personally.
Nice to see someone with a decent board for a change
if youre running at stock speeds,then simply look at a good cooler like 212 evo.
get your 6300 upto a stable 4ghz+ overclock & stick a gtx 970 in there.
You could upto a 8 core but I dont think its money that well spent,the 6300 overclocked does the job fine on new titles
Thats what Im running & its solid as a rock for gaming
The gtx760 is a weak card now for new titles,the high end of last year is the mid-range of this year - the 970 is seriously impressive ,you wouldnt be disappointed in the least.
a decent ssd would never go amiss either if you have the money & arent using one at present.

Solution

Desertrobot

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012

This is exactly what I had in mind, thanks man.