News Where To Watch Nvidia's Geforce RTX 3000 'Ampere' Unveiling 9/1 9am PT

So, nVidia now considers the release of a new architecture an event worthy of being televised? That's about as arrogant and pathetic as something Apple would try. LOL

If I ever become so pathetic and fanboyish as to treat the release of a new generation of overpriced video cards as an event not to be missed (I still can't really believe that this is happening), please hang me with a DisplayPort cable. I'd rather be dead than be that much of a sheep.

AMD's release of Zen back in 2017 was a MUCH, MUCH bigger event in the tech world and you didn't see AMD pulling a dumb stunt like this. It's like nVidia is trying to create a cult of personality around JH. It's no wonder that good ol' Charlie Demerjian started calling him "Dear Leader" so long ago. It really fits.

Last edited:
So, nVidia now considers the release of a new architecture an event worthy of being televised? That's about as arrogant and pathetic as something Apple would try. LOL

If I ever become so pathetic and fanboyish as to treat the release of a new generation of overpriced video cards as an event not to be missed (I still can't really believe that this is happening), please hang me with a DisplayPort cable. I'd rather be dead than be that much of a sheep.

AMD's release of Zen back in 2017 was a MUCH, MUCH bigger event in the tech world and you didn't see AMD pulling a dumb stunt like this. It's like nVidia is trying to create a cult of personality around JH. It's no wonder that good ol' Charlie Demerjian started calling him "Dear Leader" so long ago. It really fits.
They couldn't hold an event because of COVID-19 so they created one and are live streaming it to prevent the spread. Did you just get out of a coma or something? Also many many events have been and are streamed before and during COVID-19 in the tech industry. I have no idea why you are so outraged...

They couldn't hold an event because of COVID-19 so they created one and are live streaming it to prevent the spread. Did you just get out of a coma or something? Also many many events have been and are streamed before and during COVID-19 in the tech industry. I have no idea why you are so outraged...
Outraged? What part of my post shows outrage? It's more shock and awe that this would actually have draw than anything else. I think that the only time in my life that I was that enthusiastic about a product release was Zen because the entire PC industry was going down the toilet from a lack of competiton.

I've "witnessed" more video card generational releases than I can count on ten fingers and ten toes and several of them were far more revolutionary than this. I saw the introduction of CGA graphics, EGA graphics, VGA graphics, Super-VGA graphics, the first actual GPU, the first dual-GPU card, the first Gigaflop card, etc. Milestones in tech history are those that completely change the landscape, not just improve it in some way. Milestones introduce completely new things, not augmentations of what already exists.

The RTX 2000 series was a milestone in tech history because it brought Ray Tracing, something that didn't exsist before. The RTX 3000 series brings nothing new to the idustry. People are making such a big deal about the RTX 3080 or 3090 being a "300W video card" like that's never happened before. Back in 2008, the GTX 295 was 289W while in 2009, the HD 5970 was 294W. Seven years later, ATi built the Radeon ProDuo which didn't have some special connectors or weird new cooling solution and its TDP was 350W

This is all much ado about nothing for young people who never any real advancements in tech and think that Ampere is something other than just the next line of overpriced cards from nVidia.

I think that the last time I saw a video of Jensen Huang on stage, it was him saying "It just works" and before that, a fake video card with wood screws that he called "Fermi". Not exactly impressive showings either time.

I'm not outraged, I'm jaded. If I thought that nVidia actually had something interesting other than just "the new most powerful generation of cards" which occurs roughly every-other year, I'd understand the hype but this is not one of those times.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
A few weeks ago I bought a used RTX 3090 off Ebay. It turned my PC into a solid block of ice within hours. Got to keep an eye out for them inverted computer parts :p

Reactions: sstanic
Sep 1, 2020

You ok, hun?

Reactions: Makaveli
$1500 for the 3090 is a hard pill to swallow.
$600 for the 3080 is better.

HOWEVER, I have yet to see an NVIDIA card at their recommended launch prices. Maybe for a short while here and there, but that's it.

Most of his numbers focused on RTX performance gains. Although I do appreciate the DLSS upsampling, I consider RTX proprietary like PhysX and will likely quietly disappear once DX12 DXR extensions come in for next gen consoles.

NAVI will likely come in at $800 and slot in between the two

Reactions: waltc3

Jim90

Distinguished
With the prices and performance he's indicating for the 3070/80/90, I think it's very safe to say AMD's RDNA2 is going to be extremely impressive. WAIT!! till RDNA2 products are released, then chose a side.

Reactions: waltc3

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
That was one of the worst presentations I think I've ever seen. Very disappointing. He spent 9/10th of his time on rudimentary software--none of which impressed me at all (they even mixed up pre-rendered clips done on non-RTX hardware!)--and 1/10th of his time talking about the 3000-series hardware. "Ray-traced" Fortnite was horrible looking! I loved the "starting at" $600, $800 and then $1599 for the monster. I got that the 3070 is supposed to ship in October--but missed the dates for the other products--he spent almost no time at all talking about when they'd be available. I hate to say it but this presentation reminded me of why I steer clear of nVidia. I feel as though I am being accosted by a snake oil salesman. The only thing he missed at the end was "Beam me up, Scotty!" I hate to tell JHH, but no one is remotely interested to hear about 20 years from now--about which he knows nothing--like all of us!

Now I'm really looking forward to AMD RDNA2 presentation! This nVidia presentation was so weak compared to the kinds of things AMD does--AMD has spoiled me rotten, I guess. I'm flabbergasted--I expected to see a real product demo--and for some reason I feel I didn't get that at all.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

HOWEVER, I have yet to see an NVIDIA card at their recommended launch prices. Maybe for a short while here and there, but that's it.

Most of his numbers focused on RTX performance gains. Although I do appreciate the DLSS upsampling, I consider RTX proprietary like PhysX and will likely quietly disappear once DX12 DXR extensions come in for next gen consoles.

That's what Nvidia is waiting for. See those pricing gaps?
Early adopters will get shafted again - Ti/Super models to come later.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019

Don't forget the "starting at"...designation for all those prices...snake-oil, all the way.

You ok, hun?
I'm fine. I'm not sure about people who are all going crazy about something as mundane as a video card generational launch. It's like they haven't seen this happen many times before. I worry about them. Is the SARS-CoV2 pandemic got them so stir crazy that they'll celebrate anything?

Next in: We'll be covering the next Full Moon! <- Kinda like this

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
That's what Nvidia is waiting for. See those pricing gaps?
Early adopters will get shafted again - Ti/Super models to come later.

We may see higher RAM versions of the 3080 and 3070, but they'll be the same otherwise. Unless AMD pulls something out of their butt, there aren't going to be any refreshed versions until this time next year. I really don't get the we're getting screwed because something faster will be released in the future posts. When has that ever not been the case? It's better now than it has ever been because releases are far more spread out than they used to be.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I was aiming for RTX 3090 but now that the RTX 3080 is only $699 I dunno .. I will wait for reviews and decide later . more over , I think that Nvidia should release RTX 3090 with 12GB of Vram to reduce the price for people who dont want to game on 8K .

and Finally , RTX3080 in SLI is still cheaper than RTX 3090 ...

Reactions: QueueCumber
Well, I just read what nVidia's performance and pricing is supposed to be and I'm more than a little shocked (not in a bad way either). I never would have expected nVidia to sell the RTX 3070 level of performance for only $500 (It hasn't exactly been their M.O. in the past). This is a great thing for gamers and for PC gaming in general and I must say something that I haven't said to nVidia in over a decade...

BRAVO!!!!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
We may see higher RAM versions of the 3080 and 3070, but they'll be the same otherwise.
I didn't specifically say what would be in them - you did.

Unless AMD pulls something out of their butt, there aren't going to be any refresh until this time next year.
You said it, not me.
Nvidia isn't playing their entire hand; it's AMD's move next.

I really don't get the we're getting screwed because something faster will be released in the future posts.
Who's 'we'?
I said early adopters. I already learned my lesson with the early adopter tax, and will never do it again.

It's better now than it has ever been because releases are far more spread out than they used to be.
Not really? But whatever.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
But which card will get Ti version???

RTX 3090 AND RTX 3080 BOTH

There is a huge Price difference between the 3080 and the 3090 which hints at a coming card in between at $999

and given that the "Ti" name is allways a flagship name since forever , a 3090 ti will appear 100%

RTX 3080 ti will come and RTX 3090 Ti will come

Sep 1, 2020
I'm fine. I'm not sure about people who are all going crazy about something as mundane as a video card generational launch. It's like they haven't seen this happen many times before. I worry about them. Is the SARS-CoV2 pandemic got them so stir crazy that they'll celebrate anything?

Next in: We'll be covering the next Full Moon! <- Kinda like this
Sure. We can all see the one person going crazy ;)