[SOLVED] Where would I go to get "T" Processors?

Atterus

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
Hello all!

I can't for the life of me find a good source of "T" intel processors. I'm looking to get something like a 12500T or 12700T. I need something that generates as little heat as possible, so the "T" fits that bill nicely. Problem is that it seems like a pain to find them beyond the various sites that "promise" to get them "eventually". I've largely had to rely on Ebay where they take them out of other machines with dead PSUs or whatever. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Edit: I should clarify "as little heat as possible but still powerful enough to drive several instruments simultaneously". I've previously used a 8700T to great success, so that's the reason I'm eying these particular processors.

Solution
Install and run Intel XTU, click on the Manual Tuning tab, and the 2 settings that need to be changed(Processor Base Power and Max Turbo Power) are right there.

Lutfij

Titan

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You can just tune the regular 12700 down to use less, right? Then it wouldn't be necessary to have the T-SKU.
Like, go into bios and set a 12700 to the same 35w Processor Base Power and 99w Max Turbo Power as the 12700T.

Last edited:

Atterus

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
OEM's/system integrators like HP/Dell are the only people who will get said processors.

The best option I can see is Ebay, at the time of writing;
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=i5-12500T&_sacat=0

That helps. I figured it was some special order part since I could never find them at the usual suspects. Seems to be in short supply, may try looking for older generations if I go that route. Thanks!

You can just tune the regular 12700 down to use less, right? Then it wouldn't be necessary to have the T-SKU.

How much work is involved in doing that? I'm not afraid of the BIOS, but I'm looking at systems that will end up with a End User that may think the BIOS is a eldritch ritual. If it is a simple setting a voltage limit or thermal throttle setting, that probably could be done. I wouldn't be using very fancy BIOS though, so if some more industrial boards don't have that capability it may not work. Thinking out loud a bit. That would certainly solve the supply issue. Thanks!