Question Where's my DVD drive?

Col. Kilgore

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
My laptop doesn't see my DVD drive. It's not in Device Manager. I can't troubleshoot it because I don't have an entry for Hardware and Devices in the troubleshooting section of settings. Someone please help me fix this. I have .ISO's to burn for work! Help!

Here are my specs...

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20200804152909.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (373 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP 8339, ver 49.38, s/n PGNDB2A0GAO01Q
System: Insyde, ver HPQOEM - 0, s/n 8CG8141CQ5
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam0ne

Proper
Feb 9, 2021
You can go to device manager, click Action, and click scan for hardware changes.

OR

Run CMD as administrator. Then type :

msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic

Follow the diagnostic steps.

Adam0ne

Proper
Feb 9, 2021
What were the major changes you did before this happened; like Windows update or new apps installed? Any errors that popped out? See anything from event viewer?

Log on to HP website. They have device diagnostics. You might have to download that. Just put in your laptop serial # and it will show the downloads available. Scroll down into utility or diagnostics tab. Look for hardware or device diagnostics. It can determine if you are missing something like software too. You should also file a ticket to HP support while you're there. They might have solutions in their knowledgebase.

Col. Kilgore

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
What were the major changes you did before this happened; like Windows update or new apps installed? Any errors that popped out? See anything from event viewer?

Log on to HP website. They have device diagnostics. You might have to download that. Just put in your laptop serial # and it will show the downloads available. Scroll down into utility or diagnostics tab. Look for hardware or device diagnostics. It can determine if you are missing something like software too. You should also file a ticket to HP support while you're there. They might have solutions in their knowledgebase.
I already ran the diagnostics. Nothing! I also ran diagnostics through CMD. Nothing. Except an issue with WiFi which wasn't even an issue I was concerned with. HP can't even detect my notebook though.

Here is what HP gives me for options as to what needs to be diagnosed:

Wireless, Wired, Bluetooth Networking Issue

Battery and Adapter Issues

No Power or no Boot

Keyboard, Mouse, TouchPad, and ClickPad issues

Windows Operating System issue

Computer is slow

Sound issue

Computer locks up or freezes

Perform an HP System Recovery

Display and touchscreen issues

Unable to log in to Windows

Low disk space or memory issue

I used "Windows Operating System Issue". Which would you choose?