Question Where's the best place to sell PC parts/system?

SteamyJ

Reputable
Jan 26, 2017
I recently found out I'm going to become a father of two. I used my gaming pc for a few years but it's time for me to sell it. I was wondering:

1. Where's the best place to sell PCs/PC parts?
  2. Is it better to try and sell the system entirely or in parts?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Congratulations?

Depends on what it is. Right now mid-range to high end GPUs are in high demand, so certainly selling that off might be worth it. Same is true of good power supplies.

Parting it out is generally the better idea, not very many people are going to want the exact system you have built.

CPU/Motherboard can often be sold as a pair. With or without the memory.

Shipping an assembled computer is also outrageous, the volume and weight can quickly eat into the sale, and people buying used systems are generally not wanting to pay high shipping. Also a high chance of damaging an assembled system unless you take precautions. Removing CPU cooler and GPU are the minimum steps. Or getting the self inflating packing foam to put inside the chassis.

So, sometimes, if you can find a local buyer, that can be best.

Ebay of course, though most protections go towards the buyer.

Forums. Here on Tom's there is a classifieds section. Reddit/com/r/hardware swap, etc.

USAFRet

Titan
I recently found out I'm going to become a father of two. I used my gaming pc for a few years but it's time for me to sell it. I was wondering:

1. Where's the best place to sell PCs/PC parts?
  2. Is it better to try and sell the system entirely or in parts?
Sell the whole thing as is.
Selling in parts, you'll be left with some.
Better to get rid of the whole thing, than to try to nickel and dime each individual part.

Where on the planet are you, and what is the parts list of this system?

I would never reccomend eBay for selling since they HEAVILY favor buyers. For example, I had a family member upgrade from an old phone. Old phone worked 100% perfectly, and I sold it on eBay for them. The buyer decided they wanted to use it for free for 29 of the 30 day guarantee, then claim it didn't work and send it back, essentially getting a free phone for a month. I had videos of the phone working perfectly before I sold it, but eBay still sided with the buyer who provided no evidence. Just don't deal with that.

I have had very luck shipping computers too. Carriers are not very kind on computers.

I would sell locally on facebook marketplace, craigslist, etc. Sell the entire PC as one.