Where's WiMAX? THG Gets The Story From Clearwire

Status
Not open for further replies.

fwaynedavis

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Rural is a tough market, but Clearwire does a good job of pushing tech out early in small markets, I know from experience. In most cases they are the only game in town. But Wimax will be very slow to come to rural unless prices drop, this stuff costs a fortune.

brandnewx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
In Cambodia, the wireless network standards are already WiMax and 3G. In fact, I'm using both technologies in my home office for two years now.

AncientToaster

Distinguished
May 5, 2008
My family lives in Portland, and we got Clear when it rolled out at the introductory price of $25/month. It rocks--much faster then 3G, and much, much cheaper then traditional broadband. In our area the only broadband available besides Clear and 3G is cable, at twice the price.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Doesn't handling VOIP traffic separately make it a telephone network subject to the same rules and regulations as a traditional telephone provider? Isn't Comcast getting in trouble for providing a special network for their cable phone service?

I can't believe I've been hearing so much about WiMax (which devices support it, complaint when some devices don't support it), when it only exists in two U.S. markets. It's bad enough that 3G coverage is so spotty, like we need another, even sparser service.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Thanks to Toms for the interview, we consumers now know more.

But I wonder: why didn't you talk to him about the differences between WiMax and LTE? Both are all packet designed apps, but LTE is (apparently) the future of US data communications, according to some. I'd like to see Clearwire's vision of high speed wireless data being the best, but I can't without some input on their choice to do WiMax over LTE.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
South Carolina was supposed to go statewide, but it's biggest cable broadband server allegedly paid them off, oh, and was also somehow allowed to operate in one of it's biggest cities for two years illegally, without a lisence, and owe 2 million to the state before anything came up.... and this came up about the same time the state wanted to roll out statewide free coverage... hmmmm... I WONDER WHAT HAPPENED??? anyway, just another disappointment thanks to politics and money lubing the gears.

strider209

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
I had clearwire when I lived in the outskirts of Tracy, CA. My only other choices were dial-up or satellite. Both were of course slower than clearwire. The ability to be portable was nice, but I never used it. My best speeds were around 3Mbps but there was quite a bit of latency. For me, clearwire was my best option and decently priced, but if it was available I would prefer DSL or cable.

farmtech

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Services will be offered in rural areas when the population density goes way up.[/citation]

Is lamorpa making a joke? We're not laughing. It's bad enough I get flyers for FiOS with my landline bill--a service they can't actually offer me.

Verizon keeps pouring money upgrading areas that already have acceptable connectivity and none in areas where the copper is barely capable of noisy dialup. I love how they claim they want to replace all their copper with fiber. Seriously? :(

louden

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Let me speak for the thousands of very dissatisifed Clearwire customers out there -

Sure their current service may be overpriced compared to DSL and have dismal speeds over time, that's not the worst. The worst is there impossible customer support and the long term contracts they lock and then RE-LOCK their customers into, making it difficult and costly for customer to leave the relationship. My advice is to be extremely careful working with this company.

Status
Not open for further replies.