[SOLVED] Which 2.5" USB enclosure to buy ? I have two faulty ones!!!

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
I bought two ORICO 2.5" enclosures a while back, and they both are faulty! they turn themselves off after some time (while active or inactive?) ... You cannot even eject them !!

I have heard that some enclosures behave like that which sucks!! I also know that there are some that work perfectly...

Which ones work perfectly ?

After buying one, How do I test that this does not have the same problem ? Should I connect it and let it be inactive for sometime to see if it turns itself off ?

Also should I buy USB3.0 or USB3.1 GEN2 ?

Solution
How about these two models, are they good? do they have the faulty behavior of the ones I already have ? :

Wavlink enclosure with VL716 USB to SATA bridge chip have SSD TRIM and hibernation support. As people are telling, it just works.

Second UGREEN USB-C enclosures with ASM235CM USB to SATA bridge chip seems very good in general. UAS, SSD TRIM and hibernation support is present. So most likely second enclosure from your links should be fine with fast SSD drives too.

ORICO 2.5" enclosures use several USB to SATA bridge chips. One in your cases most likely took hibernation too seriously. Try them with different drives on different computers.
How about these two models, are they good? do they have the faulty behavior of the ones I already have ? :

Wavlink enclosure with VL716 USB to SATA bridge chip have SSD TRIM and hibernation support. As people are telling, it just works.

Second UGREEN USB-C enclosures with ASM235CM USB to SATA bridge chip seems very good in general. UAS, SSD TRIM and hibernation support is present. So most likely second enclosure from your links should be fine with fast SSD drives too.

ORICO 2.5" enclosures use several USB to SATA bridge chips. One in your cases most likely took hibernation too seriously. Try them with different drives on different computers.

Solution

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
Do they support 10 Gbps or 6Gbps ? I am confused... they say with UASP they support maximum of 6Gbps but in other instances they say that this is a USB 3.1 gen2 so it supports maximum of 10Gbps!!!

btw, both have UASP....

UASP performance depends from both USB data transfer speed and drive speed. 10 Gbps USB data transfer speed does not matter if drive itself doesn't support even 5 Gbps. Decide which drive you will use inside enclosure and only then search for appropriate enclosure.