Question Which 2070 do I buy?

LiquidMotionz

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
I'm looking at upgrading my Rx 580 to a rtx 2070.

Here are the ones I have narrowed down to

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mYYLrH/evga-geforce-rtx-2070-8gb-black-video-card-08g-p4-1071-kr

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cJ...ming-oc-video-card-gv-n2070gamingoc-white-8gc

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/td...-armor-ocv1-video-card-rtx-2070-armor-8g-ocv1

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/67...gb-amp-extreme-core-video-card-zt-t20700c-10p

From what I have concluded in price to performance the msi is King with the current promo going on at Newegg. The EVGA card is the best quality / rma. The zotac card is the fast and imo looks the best. And the gigabyte card overall is sweet spot.

Anyway, which do you recommend for basically 15 hours a day full load(I'm a full time streamer) I have gone to all their websites but there isn't specific numbers on compositor hours. I know all the cards can run 24/7 for 3 years as that's the basic warranty. Also which card will stay the coolest. How does the EVGA card fair in overclocking compared to the boost clocks of the other cards.

Again I'm looking for a card that can overclock/ boost clock to at least 1.7 with 75c max on full load, one that is built to last. After 1-3 years I will be upgrading but when I do this will be going into another PC. Lastly warranty/rmas.

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
personally its between gigabyte and msi for me. but evga has far better customer support, but you cant go wrong with all of your listed choices tbh it mostly comes down to your taste on how they look in your chassis. so dont sweat over it and go for what you feel is nice.

but it would be better if you could go for something like an Asus strix, msi gaming z or the gigabyte extreme mostly because they have better coolers, and are already quite faster than the base model (like the ones you listed). and since you probably wont upgrade annually spending for the best gpu you can afford would be a smart choice in your case.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

heebobo5

Honorable
Sep 29, 2016
I'm looking at upgrading my Rx 580 to a rtx 2070.

Here are the ones I have narrowed down to

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mYYLrH/evga-geforce-rtx-2070-8gb-black-video-card-08g-p4-1071-kr

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cJDJ7P/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2070-8gb-gaming-oc-video-card-gv-n2070gamingoc-white-8gc

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tdBTwP/msi-geforce-rtx-2070-8-gb-armor-ocv1-video-card-rtx-2070-armor-8g-ocv1

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/67F48d/zotac-geforce-rtx-2070-8-gb-amp-extreme-core-video-card-zt-t20700c-10p

From what I have concluded in price to performance the msi is King with the current promo going on at Newegg. The EVGA card is the best quality / rma. The zotac card is the fast and imo looks the best. And the gigabyte card overall is sweet spot.

Anyway, which do you recommend for basically 15 hours a day full load(I'm a full time streamer) I have gone to all their websites but there isn't specific numbers on compositor hours. I know all the cards can run 24/7 for 3 years as that's the basic warranty. Also which card will stay the coolest. How does the EVGA card fair in overclocking compared to the boost clocks of the other cards.

Again I'm looking for a card that can overclock/ boost clock to at least 1.7 with 75c max on full load, one that is built to last. After 1-3 years I will be upgrading but when I do this will be going into another PC. Lastly warranty/rmas.
Whichever you like the best or whichever is cheapest. They all perform about the same. MSI is generally the quietest and EVGA has the best customer support if either of those sway your decision.

LiquidMotionz

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
Whichever you like the best or whichever is cheapest. They all perform about the same. MSI is generally the quietest and EVGA has the best customer support if either of those sway your decision.
Ideally in terms of price the zotac card is the best per performance. My case allows up to a 12 inch card but the zotac is 12.1 would it be possible to squeeze it in snug or would that impact cooling. Noise isn't really on my list in what I'm buying. Ideally if EVGA made a price competitive 1.7 boost clock card I'd be all over it. In terms of what I know will fit is the gigabyte card but what's swaying me from buying it and zotac is in my mind they are lesser quality.

LiquidMotionz

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
Ideally in terms of price the zotac card is the best per performance. My case allows up to a 12 inch card but the zotac is 12.1 would it be possible to squeeze it in snug or would that impact cooling. Noise isn't really on my list in what I'm buying. Ideally if EVGA made a price competitive 1.7 boost clock card I'd be all over it. In terms of what I know will fit is the gigabyte card but what's swaying me from buying it and zotac is in my mind they are lesser quality.
Plus the bad rma experiences people have. Do you think most EVGA blacks can oc to 1.7 stable?

LiquidMotionz

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
personally its between gigabyte and msi for me. but evga has far better customer support, but you cant go wrong with all of your listed choices tbh it mostly comes down to your taste on how they look in your chassis. so dont sweat over it and go for what you feel is nice.

but it would be better if you could go for something like an Asus strix, msi gaming z or the gigabyte extreme mostly because they have better coolers, and are already quite faster than the base model (like the ones you listed). and since you probably wont upgrade annually spending for the best gpu you can afford would be a smart choice in your case.
I'd agree, my biggest issue is that the money I spend in this card will be my only spending money for the next 3+ months. Being a full time streamer means for me I don't want rma issues. EVGA sends you a replacement first to test for a week before sending the defective back in. Again as a streamer is really beneficial. The only issue for me is manually overclocking the card. Having to set it Everytime I open windows. Being a streamer I prefer to close as many applications as possible to keep crashes to a minimum.

LiquidMotionz

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
Get the Gigabyte. It has the best cooler, and good PCB
Msi one has a bad PCB and mediocre cooler.
EVGA would be my number 2 option, the cooler however is slightly worse than on the Gigabyte.
Zotac overall is just a brand you want to avoid nowadays.

Is the gigabyte cooler much better it has a thinner heatsink and smaller fans vs the EVGA. Do you have experience with gigabytes rma? How well do you think the avg EVGA card can overclock?

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Well EVGA cards some of them overclock's nicely, but some doesn't.
Already dealt with EVGA rma system, they have a very nice and friendly customer service, never dealt with gigabyte neither zotac EVGA has been always nice to me.

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
You can't go wrong with either of them. Get the one which has the best warranty and support in your area. MSI armor having a bad PCB and such, it's a hoax in the category of loch ness monster and bigfoot.

For overclocking, MSI Gaming X has better cooler than the armor, same PCB. Zotac AMP Extreme, Galax EX Gamer, Asus Strix etc should be in your choices.

LiquidMotionz

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
You can't go wrong with either of them. Get the one which has the best warranty and support in your area. MSI armor having a bad PCB and such, it's a hoax in the category of loch ness monster and bigfoot.

For overclocking, MSI Gaming X has better cooler than the armor, same PCB. Zotac AMP Extreme, Galax EX Gamer, Asus Strix etc should be in your choices.
I have been told before to stay away from zotac is this true?

Well, everybody knows that I have an automatic bias towards EVGA, and that is precisely because of their customer service. If you call-in with a problem within even a few days after your warranty expires, those people will bend-over backward to get you taken care of.

I have had endless hassles from solidly in-warranty failures with pretty much every other vendor out there, over the years. If you want no problems in addressing an issue with your hardware, I'll be predictable and nudge you in the direction of EVGA.

Let's put it this way....since 2003, I've had 3 MSI motherboards, and 3 EVGA GPUs in my primary personal systems.

I've had exactly one problem with an EVGA GPU (it refused to do dual monitors on Linux) and called EVGA something like 4 days before the warranty expired.

They listened to the problem, understood it, and immediately volunteered to send me the next model card upline from the one I had, because there was no fix for the issue.

I had the new card the next morning, along with a full retail warranty period covering the new card, and I have never had another problem with any of my GPUs since then.

I'm building my 4th primary personal system, now, and my EVGA RTX 2070 was delivered on the 16th.

LiquidMotionz

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
Let's put it this way....since 2003, I've had 3 MSI motherboards, and 3 EVGA GPUs in my primary personal systems.

I've had exactly one problem with an EVGA GPU (it refused to do dual monitors on Linux) and called EVGA something like 4 days before the warranty expired.

They listened to the problem, understood it, and immediately volunteered to send me the next model card upline from the one I had, because there was no fix for the issue.

I had the new card the next morning, along with a full retail warranty period covering the new card, and I have never had another problem with any of my GPUs since then.

I'm building my 4th primary personal system, now, and my EVGA RTX 2070 was delivered on the 16th.
Which 2070 variant from EVGA did you get and if you overclocked it what was your experience like/ what speed

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
if you are in the US evga might be the obvious choice for nvidia since if you do get a dud for a gpu its an easy fix with their customer support.
but personally never been a fan of their gpus, they seem to be outclassed by msi, asus or gigabyte imo (both by cooling, and out of the box stock performance). but maybe its just because here in the Philippines you cant really get an EVGA gpu or mobo so i might be biased towards msi, asus and gigabyte in that regard.

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
if you are in the US evga might be the obvious choice for nvidia since if you do get a dud for a gpu its an easy fix with their customer support.
but personally never been a fan of their gpus, they seem to be outclassed by msi, asus or gigabyte imo (both by cooling, and out of the box stock performance). but maybe its just because here in the Philippines you cant really get an EVGA gpu or mobo so i might be biased towards msi, asus and gigabyte in that regard.
Gigabyte is bad. Specially their Vega lineup, I suppose they were drunk when they designed the PCBs.