[SOLVED] Which 2070 Super?

whoopdeedoo

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015
I've been using the Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce 3X OC (GV-N207SWF3OC-8GD). It just doesn't seem to be performing as well as I expected and seems to be a bit noisy. There is an issue with the fans not being able to be set below 40% also or that shutoff and on repeatedly and it causes a revving sound and slight click. Its a common problem and so far no BIOS update has been released for the card.

Anyway I'm with Amazons return window and they always do free shipping so it costs me nothing to send it back and get something else.

Any recommendations in the ~500 range?

Solution
I believe the fans will shut off after reaching a certain temp. I had a power supply that did that and it was really annoying. That's controlled by the BIOS as your probably already know and the manufactures use it as a selling point so it's probably not likely to have a BIOS update to be able to control that. The clicking sound could be a bearing. I had the same issue when I got a GTX 1070. You could try reseating the fans on the cooler. Again it really depends how much effort to put into it.

Besides the noise is that all your concerned about? Because if your not happy with the 3D performance of the card going with a different variant of the same GPU isn't going to change that much.

EVGA has always had my interest. They also offer...
I believe the fans will shut off after reaching a certain temp. I had a power supply that did that and it was really annoying. That's controlled by the BIOS as your probably already know and the manufactures use it as a selling point so it's probably not likely to have a BIOS update to be able to control that. The clicking sound could be a bearing. I had the same issue when I got a GTX 1070. You could try reseating the fans on the cooler. Again it really depends how much effort to put into it.

Besides the noise is that all your concerned about? Because if your not happy with the 3D performance of the card going with a different variant of the same GPU isn't going to change that much.

EVGA has always had my interest. They also offer the upgrade program in some strange case they release a RTX 3000 series in the next 3 months (Although probably not likely).

Reactions: whoopdeedoo
Solution

whoopdeedoo

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015

EVGA has always had my interest. They also offer the upgrade program in some strange case they release a RTX 3000 series in the next 3 months (Although probably not likely).

Yeah but I'm pretty sure that "off until needed" feature doesn't work without the Gigabyte fan software which I don't care for. If I set a fan curve in afterburner that starts at 30c/30% the fans will just constantly rev up and down, clicking each time.

The performance isn't as good as I hoped considering that I went from gtx970 to rtx2070s but I'm not willing to spend enough to go 2080 so I'm stuck with the 2070s. That being the case I want to make sure I get the best possible 2070s I can.

I've being reading a lot and it definitely seems like EVGA has a killer reputation for customer service so I'm leaning that way.

Yeah lol, It's set at the BIOS level. The software (MSI Afterburner) is telling it to do what you want but then the BIOS in the card is like, override! And thus why it's going up and down like that.

That should be a massive improvement going from a GTX 970 to a RTX 2070. What's your full system specs?

Yeah they really do. I would get them again in a heartbeat. I've been running a Zotac GTX 1080ti for 2½ years now. While they do usually offer cheaper solutions than other manufacture's I've noticed they use cheaper capacitors so it may not fair well in the long term.

whoopdeedoo

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015
Yeah lol, It's set at the BIOS level. The software (MSI Afterburner) is telling it to do what you want but then the BIOS in the card is like, override! And thus why it's going up and down like that.

That should be a massive improvement going from a GTX 970 to a RTX 2070. What's your full system specs?

Yeah they really do. I would get them again in a heartbeat. I've been running a Zotac GTX 1080ti for 2½ years now. While they do usually offer cheaper solutions than other manufacture's I've noticed they use cheaper capacitors so it may not fair well in the long term.

My System (pcpartpicker)
It just doesn't look as clean and smooth as I expected. I started The Outer Worlds and on ultra I'm getting an average of 100fps, lows in the 80's but it still stutters a bit sometimes and doesn't look that great in my opinion. I've noticed in Doom Eternal on ultra it looks and feels pretty good except for a bit of blur/fuzz on details when moving that get crisp a second or so after standing still. Motion blur is off so I'm not sure what is causing that.

I did/do play a lot of CS:GO which gives me a rock solid 200 fps so it could be I've been spoiled by having so much time playing at 144hz.

Are the games your playing on the HDD?

Is your CPU overclocked?

Your fps is right in line with the benchmarks as what to expect. It's just the way demanding games go 😕. You have a really solid gaming pc. That's just how it is unless your spending thousands and thousands of dollars on hardware.

Yes it does have an noticeable impact unfortunately. I went from a 144hz to an 120hz ultra wide. The extra screen space is really nice but man can I tell the difference in the refresh rate. Also that extra bit of resolution does tax the fps a little.

Reactions: whoopdeedoo

whoopdeedoo

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015
Are the games your playing on the HDD?

Is your CPU overclocked?

Your fps is right in line with the benchmarks as what to expect. It's just the way demanding games go 😕. You have a really solid gaming pc. That's just how it is unless your spending thousands and thousands of dollars on hardware.

Yes it does have an noticeable impact unfortunately. I went from a 144hz to an 120hz ultra wide. The extra screen space is really nice but man can I tell the difference in the refresh rate. Also that extra bit of resolution does tax the fps a little.

It varies, The Outer Worlds for instance is on my SSD. I keep 2 of my most played games on the SSD at any given time, the rest on the HDD. I haven't overclocked anything.

I feel like it is what it is at this point. I may use nvidia shadowplay to try and get a video of the blur/fuzz situation at some point so I can show people and find out if others see the same thing or if I have a specific issue I'm not aware of.

I'm actually considering moving up to 1440p but not sure if its worth it. 1440p on lower settings (to get the fps I want) vs 1080p on higher settings..

Yes it's always best to keep the games you play the most on the SSD. Or the ones with the most loading times.

I do notice some fuzziness in games myself. Mostly in the distance. Although I credit this to the max oc I've been running for a little over 2 years now :sneaky:.

1440p is a good investment but it does tax the frames. But what you lose in frames you make up for in image quality. I understand if your trying to achieve max frames at max quality as well though. Anything below 120fps makes me feel uncomfortable.

It is possible as you originally said, that it could be something with this particular card itself. If the return shipping is free then only thing your missing out on is a week of not gaming 🤢 At least you would know for sure if it's something with the card or not.

Did you buy the monitor new as well?

whoopdeedoo

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015
Yes it's always best to keep the games you play the most on the SSD. Or the ones with the most loading times.

I do notice some fuzziness in games myself. Mostly in the distance. Although I credit this to the max oc I've been running for a little over 2 years now :sneaky:.

1440p is a good investment but it does tax the frames. But what you lose in frames you make up for in image quality. I understand if your trying to achieve max frames at max quality as well though. Anything below 120fps makes me feel uncomfortable.

It is possible as you originally said, that it could be something with this particular card itself. If the return shipping is free then only thing your missing out on is a week of not gaming 🤢 At least you would know for sure if it's something with the card or not.

Did you buy the monitor new as well?

I've had this monitor for around 5 years now. I've been looking at the EVGA 2070 supers on amazon and the shipping is crazy right now with corona. One card isn't in stock til 4/24 another has a shipping date of 4/4-5/4. I'm not super impatient but a month? Yikes.