[SOLVED] Which 2080 Should I buy?

insinuendo

Reputable
May 15, 2016
If at all. I'd like to know if it's even a good idea to buy one. My monitor has G-Sync so I'm looking to stick to Nvidia. I'm looking to buy an RTX 2080. It is to go in the following rig:

34.1" 3440x1440 120 Hz Ultrawide Monitor
Ryzen 5 3600X
Deepcool Captain 360X Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB DDR4-3600 Memory
1tb SSD, 3tb HDD

I have gone through a dozen different prospective GPUs. From the 2070 super to the current contender 2080. I'm so confused at which one to buy. I find them in a range of prices with no clear indication why there's a discrepancy. I see some are overclocked and some not. The specs sheet will often differ from site to site on apparently the same GPU. I want to use it for an ultrawide monitor and I also plan to game on a 4k TV. I have about $1000/£700 to spend. Any help would be much appreciated.

Solution
This is the card you want, for an £700 budget. I won't go into long winded explanations as to why, but for MOST of the experienced gamers and builders out there, EVGA is hands down the go to choice when it comes to Nvidia graphics cards. And that's without going into the fact that they offer customer and product service after the sale that goes far beyond what ANY other manufacturer offers.

Plus, with any of the EVGA gaming cards you can add an extended warranty within 90 days of purchase. 30 dollars to add another two years warranty for a total of five years warranty. 60 dollars to add an additional 7 years. So for 60 bucks more you get a graphics card that is fully warrantied for ten years, if you should happen to keep the card that...

insinuendo

Reputable
May 15, 2016
Like I mentioned I have a 3440x1440 120 Hz Ultrawide Monitor and a 4k TV, so those would be the resolutions. I will only be using one or the other if that's what you mean. I would like decent settings. About as good as what my budget will permit.

This is the card you want, for an £700 budget. I won't go into long winded explanations as to why, but for MOST of the experienced gamers and builders out there, EVGA is hands down the go to choice when it comes to Nvidia graphics cards. And that's without going into the fact that they offer customer and product service after the sale that goes far beyond what ANY other manufacturer offers.

Plus, with any of the EVGA gaming cards you can add an extended warranty within 90 days of purchase. 30 dollars to add another two years warranty for a total of five years warranty. 60 dollars to add an additional 7 years. So for 60 bucks more you get a graphics card that is fully warrantied for ten years, if you should happen to keep the card that long. Honestly, the five year plan is the good deal because most users won't still be using the same card five years from now. It's a good thing to have though, because unlike most warranties, that one is fully transferable if you sell the card.

EVGA has been doing this, making graphics cards, longer than just about anybody else in the game. It's not a tough sell to understand that when you purchase an EVGA graphics card, you are purchasing a card that is a lot less likely to be prone to manufacturing defects, badly engineered designs or other sub-standard considerations such as poor cooling systems, noisy/rattling parts, coil whine, etc. Also, since graphics cards tend to be high failure items, dealing with a company that doesn't put owners through hassles when trying to get the hardware replaced is a serious thing to factor in when considering who to buy from.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card (£708.96 @ More Computers)
Total: £708.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-15 04:49 GMT+0000

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

insinuendo

Reputable
May 15, 2016
Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I did not know that about evga. It may sound strange but one of the best components for my PC down the years has been my PSU so it's not entirely unsurprising. Much appreciated.

Ok. I don't want to knock your PSU so I'm not going to comment on that one. :)

Actually, it's not terrible at all, but as far as EVGA power supplies go, it's not one of their better ones either. The G1 NEX units have had some issues with early failure and a few other troubles. They were just not built using the same high quality capacitors and solid platforms as some of the other EVGA models like the B2, G2, GQ, P2 and T2 models. You could also LOOSELY include the G3, but it is not nearly as good as the G2, but the N1, W1, B1, B3, BQ, BT, G1 and G5 units are not particularly good examples of what a power supply should be.

You can read more on that, and see some extensive conversations on this, here:

insinuendo

Reputable
May 15, 2016
Ok. I don't want to knock your PSU so I'm not going to comment on that one. :)

Actually, it's not terrible at all, but as far as EVGA power supplies go, it's not one of their better ones either. The G1 NEX units have had some issues with early failure and a few other troubles. They were just not built using the same high quality capacitors and solid platforms as some of the other EVGA models like the B2, G2, GQ, P2 and T2 models. You could also LOOSELY include the G3, but it is not nearly as good as the G2, but the N1, W1, B1, B3, BQ, BT, G1 and G5 units are not particularly good examples of what a power supply should be.

You can read more on that, and see some extensive conversations on this, here:

Lol I won't take it personally. It may be more do to do with the issues I've hard with other components and my PSU has kind of just behaved itself. It has good build quality too. Thanks for the info.

DSzymborski

Titan
Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I did not know that about evga. It may sound strange but one of the best components for my PC down the years has been my PSU so it's not entirely unsurprising. Much appreciated.

I'll second the love for EVGA's customer service. One of the easiest RMAs for GPUs that I've dealt with and one of the most liberal, in my experience, at giving you a better model GPU than the one that broke. Simply put, GPUs fail, and not spending my time dealing with a return issue is a good way to put me in a happy mood.

Reactions: Darkbreeze