[SOLVED] Which 2TB HDD?

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I'm trying to decide between four 2TB HDD models to replace my current data disk which might be failing (it's disconnected now). The candidates are -

1. Seagate ST2000DM005
  2. Seagate ST2000DM008
  3. WD Blue WD20 EZAZ
  4. Toshiba P300 HDWD120UZSVA

I can't get HGST here. Needless to say, it will be nice to have both speed and reliability. But if I had to choose, I'd go for the latter. I know about Backblaze but there's a huge difference in the amounts of data available for these three brands, and very little about 2TB drives. Your opinions will be appreciated. (And please, may I request no gratuitous lectures about backups and SSDs?)

Solution
Reliability is a tossup.
Especially for a single instance, as it will be with your drive.

Fleetwide fail rates are within fractions of a percent.
Seagate ST2000DM005 -5400rpm
Seagate ST2000DM008 - 7200rpm
WD Blue WD20 EZAZ - 5400rpm
Toshiba P300 HDWD120UZSVA - 7200rpm

if u need speed, avoid 5400rpm
if u need reliability go for seagate ironwolf ( ST2000NE0025 )
or wd red plus (WD2002FFSX )

from your choices Seagate ST2000DM008 is fastest

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Thanks for the replies. I've been using Seagate exclusively for >25 years, several for myself and hundreds for clients, friends and relatives. Only a very few badly abused drives failed during that period. OTOH I knew about many failed WD drives in other people's computers over the same period.

There was that blip in Seagate's history with their 7200.11 firmware more than 10 years ago. Many people thought it was the "in" thing to bash Seagate. They - especially youngsters without a clue - put WD on a pedestal and claimed that all Seagate products were total crap. I got a few 7200.11 drives from my supplier but returned them and asked for another model.

But I don't deal regularly with computer hardware anymore and I'm aware that blind brand loyalty can be dangerous. I had a DOA Seagate two years ago, one new drive last month already had several bad sectors and my 15-month-old 2TB drive is showing a steadily increasing seek error rate count in SMART. I no longer have a regular supplier and the three drives were all from Amazon. Packaging was less than satisfactory and the drives had to come by a circuitous route to this remote location.

As USAFRet said, no one can predict the durability of a single specimen of hardware. After all that rambling discourse, what I'd like to have is a comparative overview based on large scale statistics for the major HDD brands.