Question Which 3 of 4 m.2 slots are best for speed and performance on Gigabyte Aorus Master x570s

Beewild1

Reputable
Apr 21, 2019
I have 2 x 512gb and 1 x 1tb m.2 ssd. I have 1 x GPU x16. Fir best speed and performabcw which 3 of the 4 m.2 slots should I use?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
M2A_CPU slot connects directly to CPU and usually is the "fastest". While M2B_SB, M2C_SB and M2D_SB slots are connected to MoBo chipset and may be a bit slower.
There are additional restrictions for some slots, e.g M2B_SB. Further reading from the holy bible of PCs (aka MoBo manual), pages 31 and 32.

Beewild1

Reputable
Apr 21, 2019
You might want to include make and model of all your storage devices at your disposal. As for your motherboard, what processor have you paired with said motherboard?
You might want to include make and model of all your storage devices at your disposal. As for your motherboard, what processor have you paired with said motherboard?
I am using 3 Samsung 970 pro ssd and a 5900x cpu with a gigabyte aorus rtx 3070 ti master gpu

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Since you have Ryzen 5000-series CPU, you can use all your M.2 slots as PCI-E 4.0 speeds. However, 970 Pro does not support PCI-E 4.0, only PCI-E 3.0 speeds.

As i said above, M2A_CPU slot connects directly to CPU and usually, is faster than those slots that connect to MoBo chipset. But in real life usage, i doubt you could make a difference between M2A_CPU and M2B/C/D_SB slots.

For example, i have two M.2 NVMe SSDs, 960 Evo (500GB) in the slot that connects directly to CPU and 970 Evo Plus (2TB) in the slot that connects to MoBo chipset. But i can see clear speed increase difference in 970 Evo Plus, since it is just that much faster drive, than 960 Evo, despite it being in the "chipset slot".