Which 4 component's? Need help

Timee80

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
Hi everyone. This is my first post.
I've got an old pc that's been keeping me going fine, but my son is getting into doing youtube videos (he's mad on it and wants to become famous bless him). I've been getting accustomed to hitfilm 4 express video editing software lately to help improve his channel as he's only been uploading basic stuff from his phone. I've realised my current spec isn't great for this and would like to upgrade what I have to to make this job quicker. Current gear as follows- asrock pe45de board and q6600 cpu with scythe cooler, 4gb ram, Samsung 128gb ssd and 1tb HD, nvidia geforce gtx430 graphics, 800w psu, all in a full size nzxt case with plenty of fans built in (not sure of model number)
Can I get away with just updating the cpu, ram, board and gpu?
I won't be doing tons of editing but I am enjoying learning this side of things so would like a setup that's fairly capable. What is recommended please? For about 300 ish if at all possible but open to ideas.
Thanks in advance

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
Yeah upgrading the CPU, RAM, Motherboard and GPU would be exactly what you are looking for. Not sure if $300 is ideal for all of that tho. If you are only doing some basic video editing you might not even need a stronger GPU unless you're open to spending more money. A GTX 1050 would do all this fine and is about ~$110 USD if im not mistaken. Otherwise a simple CPU, Motherboard and RAM upgrade would get the job done maybe 8GB DDR4, cheap B250 Motherboard and Intel Pentium G4560 which is a cheap and well performing CPU. Hope this helps :) i can grab a parts list for you if this sounds good. Just let me know if you're interested in the GPU upgrade as well as the CPU, Mobo and RAM upgrade would be about ~$250-300 easy and the GPU would add another ~$100.

*Edit* Wow my USD estimation is rusty.... Pentium G4560 + 8GB DDR4 RAM + B250 Motherboard is only $190 USD :D So for $300 you can get a full upgrade which should serve you very well! Link to part list > https://pcpartpicker.com/list/89Y79W

and a comparison between the Pentium G4560 and your Q6600 > http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-G4560-vs-Intel-Core2-Quad-Q6600/3892vs1980 (The Pentium demolishes it by over 100%)

Timee80

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
That doesn't sound bad. Forgot to say I'm in the UK. I don't mind doing the mobo cpu and ram and then maybe gpu if needed later. Is the g4560 considered enough? Thanks again

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador

If you don't want to get the GPU now since it wouldn't make a huge difference on your editing unlike the CPU and RAM which would do most the work when you render/edit. The Pentium is an excellent budget CPU and would be much better then your current CPU but without the GPU upgrade you could get an i5 which is Quad Core and would be much faster then both the aforementioned. Here is an updated list without the GPU and a good i5-7500 instead > https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/

(I also changed the currency and shops to U.K)