[SOLVED] Which 660 to choose for a 12400?

mcan226

Honorable
Jan 19, 2017
Hello, I wanna build a new computer and i've settled for the 12400. I can get this 2 mobos:

MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI DDR4: 145 USD

Asus Prime B660m-a D4: 140 USD

Which one would be better if I'm planning on buying a gpu in the following months?, maybe a 1650 or a 3050.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Better.........

That might mean features available on the board. Such as type and number of drive ports, number of RAM slots, number and type of monitor connections; number and type of USB ports; provider and version of LAN and onboard audio.

If that's what better means, walk down the spec sheets of any candidate at the manufacturer's web site.

Or it might mean reliability, in which case spec sheets mean little, so take a wild guess.

Your work load intensity might come into play regarding heat and therefore affect cooling requirements.

I guess you've listed 1 ATX board and 2 micro ATX. If all 3 fit your requirements, there may be no need to consider the ATX model unless its underlying components are superior in some identifiable way.

I would give some consideration to the vendor, return privileges, customer service type issues. Issues on new motherboards aren't rare.

Any recommendations you get may be based on spec sheets or on someone's personal experience/anecdotes.

Try to understand the basis of any recommendations and judge them accordingly. Try to accept that randomness and quality control issues beyond your control may have more effect than you'd like.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcan226

mcan226

Honorable
Jan 19, 2017
Better.........

That might mean features available on the board. Such as type and number of drive ports, number of RAM slots, number and type of monitor connections; number and type of USB ports; provider and version of LAN and onboard audio.

If that's what better means, walk down the spec sheets of any candidate at the manufacturer's web site.

Or it might mean reliability, in which case spec sheets mean little, so take a wild guess.

Your work load intensity might come into play regarding heat and therefore affect cooling requirements.

I guess you've listed 1 ATX board and 2 micro ATX. If all 3 fit your requirements, there may be no need to consider the ATX model unless its underlying components are superior in some identifiable way.

I would give some consideration to the vendor, return privileges, customer service type issues. Issues on new motherboards aren't rare.

Any recommendations you get may be based on spec sheets or on someone's personal experience/anecdotes.

Try to understand the basis of any recommendations and judge them accordingly. Try to accept that randomness and quality control issues beyond your control may have more effect than you'd like.

Thank you so much for your answer.

I edited out the atx because the vendor doesn't have it in stock atm.

My workload would be front end coding with VS code and gaming, nothing else.

I've watched a video from nexus hardware and apparently the mortar reaches almost 20 degrees less than the asus.

As for the vendor the one that sells the msi is known in the city and apparently good, the one that sells the asus not so much. But honestly you can never know. I'm honestly super scared either way 😕

I'll keep reading the specs.