Question Which 750w PSU?

jaxx80

Reputable
Aug 25, 2019
Hello
I've just made my mind and decided to buy Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w and now it is out of stock in the shops where I usually buy from.
It seems that Seasonic has a newer model Focus GX? Does anyone have any impressions about these newer PSUs?
Or can you recommend me another 750w PSU with price no more than the price of Seasonic Focus Plus Gold? (I am not even sure that I need a modular one, but anyway...)

Lutfij

Titan
If 750 is your mark, might want to look at the Fractal Ion+ unit's. The 860W version has gotten some nods from reviewers, not just on Tom'sHardware.

Just to double check you actually need 750W, can you list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
Chassis:

jaxx80

Reputable
Aug 25, 2019
Just to double check you actually need 750W, can you list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
Chassis:

My PC is currently old, I have some problems with the PSU and I am changing it with the idea to be future proof when I upgrade sometime in the future (e.g. Ryzen 3600, Radeon 3700XT, etc). So I am thinking about something with more power (like 750W)...
I wonder whether to take now something like Seasonic Focus Gold SSR-750FM or to wait some weeks for something like Seasonic Focus GX 750. I have not really examined other brands yet...

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, they decided awhile back to standardize the names of their power supplies going forward.

I wish more companies would do that. EVGA was so good for awhile, but that's kinda broken down as they seem determined to have 700 different versions of their power supplies.

All I know about the EVGA units is the T2 P2 G2 B2 and G3 units are good (all SF units). No real idea about the rest.
The GS use to be on the good side since it was made by SeaSonic but can't find them anymore.

White label and the 1series/N/B series excluding B2 EVGA's are all bad.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
More power doesn't mean much. If anything. Most pc's today will run on any decent 550w or 650w psu. The only cpu/gpu combo that doesn't is a i9 9900k/RTX2080ti which is better off with an 850w psu. Even a i7 9700k/2080ti is good on a 750w. A 3600/5700xt is fine on 650w.

If it's a reliable, quality psu.

Thing to watch out for is models, not brands. Corsair has some of the best, as does Seasonic, Evga, beQuiet, even Thermaltake and CoolerMaster. But many of those same brands also have some of the worst. Old Corsair CX, Seasonic S12-III, Evga nexus /B series, anything not Toughpower, everthing except the V series.

jaxx80

Reputable
Aug 25, 2019
https://seasonic.com/oneseasonic
Looking at this, the FOCUS GX models are identical to the old FOCUS plus model, just with a swapped name.

In the Seasonic's site is written:
"The newly upgraded FOCUS PX and GX series are the successors to the FOCUS PLUS Series, which became an instant top seller in the power supply market after its launch in 2017. In 2019, Seasonic engineers have made improvements to the popular series such as removing the inline capacitors on the supplied cables "

So I guess there is some difference, probably the cables are more flexible, etc...

DSzymborski

Titan
Yes, 4 connectors in total. however I do not see where 2 PCI-E cables can be plugged in the psu box? I see only one 8 pin slot labeled PCI-E on the psu itself in the pictures?

The problem is that this is a general page for the Focus Gold (see the URL), so while you get the specs for a 750W, it's just the one generic picture.

If SeaSonic gives you the cables, they'll give you places to use them.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

jaxx80

Reputable
Aug 25, 2019
The problem is that this is a general page for the Focus Gold (see the URL), so while you get the specs for a 750W, it's just the one generic picture.
If SeaSonic gives you the cables, they'll give you places to use them.
Yes, it seems that 1 of the cables is permanently attached to the PSU , together with the CPU and MB cable.
So for a configuration Ryzen 3600, GTX 1660Ti, 16MB Ram, m2 SSD, 2 HDD, I am trying to choose between the following PSUs:

• Seasonic Focus GX Gold 650w (fully modular): 100$
  • Seasonic Focus Gold 750w (semi-modular): 100$
  • Seasonic Focus GX Gold 750w (fully modular): 125$

I know that even 650w is more than enough for my configuration, but I wanted to be futureproof if I buy in the future more demanding videocard and processor