Which 980 ti to upgrade to from 970 sli setup

Jamalgq

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Well like it says. I have a 4k tv coming shortly and a chance to sell my gtx 970 for almost full retail. So my thought is to grab a 980 ti for the moment and run that for the 4k, soon afterwards ill grab a second to sli them. My question is though...which one do I get?!? There are so many variations I am stumped.
Setup they will be used in,
4790k i7
H110i gtx cooler
Z97a gaming 7
Evga 850 g2
32gb hyper 1866
2x 250gb ssd drives
In a corsair 760t case

Monitor is overlord tempest not oc'd 1440p (will I need a 4k monitor or use a dummy plug? For ideal resolution?)
Tv coming is 55" sony 4k

System is all stock clocks

Solution
Pascal: I'm looking forward to Pascal as well, but I'm not waiting for it. It'll be very easy for me to sell my 980 Ti's in the future when the latest GPU comes out.

b-stock: Both of these cards come factory overclocked. But in answer to your question, yes they are very easy to overclock. Just download MSI afterburner or EVGA Precision X and pick a stable overclock figure. Here are the two 980 Ti b-stock cards: http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=8&family=GeForce+900+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+980+Ti
I really love the GTX 980 Ti's, but I doubt you'll notice any improvement going from two GTX 970's to a single 980 Ti. If you were buying two 980 Ti's, that would be a different story. To reinforce my point, two 970's actually exceed a single 980 Ti in synthetic benchmarks. In real world game play, I suspect it'll be about even performance.

Since you are planning on a future second card, I suggest a GTX980ti with a titan blower cooler.
That type cooler will send the heated air directly out the back of your case.
Fan type coolers are very efficient, but they depend on good case cooling.

With dual cards, the top card tends to get starved for air. Using a blower cooler tends to relieve that.

Here is a EVGA GTX980ti SC:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709 50001402 600565061

Check the tv specs carefully. It will need hdmi2.0 or displayport to get 60fps with full chroma.

* Addendum: I just read ChumP's earlier response. I usually only read the initial forum post and then ignore all the other responses until after I've posted my opinion. That way there is no chance that I'll simply copy popular opinion. The YouTube posting is interesting because that's the precise source that I watched in the past, which I referenced to post my opinion.

* My apologies: I just re-read your post and realized that you already stated that you'll be upgrading to a second GTX 980 Ti in the future. That's what I get for responding to posts while watching Star Trek Voyager. I personally like reference GTX 980 Ti's reference coolers for SLI setups. You could purchase a b-stock (refurbished) 980 Ti (reference cooler) for $549.99 directly from EVGA http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-4992-RX

Jamalgq

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
I saw the b stock went for sale today. I usually check that a few times a week . and I figured I would grab the second card when I saw another good grab like that . but I wasn't sure on the clock speed for that card type. Would it be easily oc'd and still stay cool?

I thought about waiting for Pascal but then realized it would be nearly two years to see powerful releases like a ti or titan version. And by buying two b stock cards I could resell in the future and recoup at a good rate.

The tv is a Sony 55x810c which had the hdmi2 to achieve a 60 fps count :)

It's the branding and not knowing what I could oc that type of evga card to

Pascal: I'm looking forward to Pascal as well, but I'm not waiting for it. It'll be very easy for me to sell my 980 Ti's in the future when the latest GPU comes out.

b-stock: Both of these cards come factory overclocked. But in answer to your question, yes they are very easy to overclock. Just download MSI afterburner or EVGA Precision X and pick a stable overclock figure. Here are the two 980 Ti b-stock cards: http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=8&family=GeForce+900+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+980+Ti

Solution

Jamalgq

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Thanks rcald, the 4992 looks like a reference card type to me. Will I be good for cooling the two cards with that setup as compared to the acx type of cooler? What ti's do you have and can you give me an idea of what kind of performance your getting, do you do any 3dmarks? Thanks for the help and input. I may just order two of them this evening if it seems like a setup that will work well for my setup

TRENDING THREADS