Which 980ti cards will fit as a SLI setup on my motherboard?

s1luxford

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
I am looking to get a 980ti SLI build setup in my computer but I am concerned that I won’t be able to fit two 980ti’s in the PCIE slots if they are too wide.

My motherboard is a Asus Rock Z97M OC Formula and I was wondering if anyone could give my their opinions on what non reference 980ti is the thinnest and would potentially fit on a SLI setup on this motherboard?

Thank you in advance.

Solution
If this is your card, then it's a dual slot card. It should only cover the slot it's inserted into and the PCI-Ex1 slot of your motherboard. If this is the card you're looking to get, then it too will only cover the PCI-Ex16 and PCI-Ex1 slots. A second card for SLI will fit, snugly, into the second PCI-Ex16 slot (third expansion slot) and cover the third PCI-Ex16 slot.

-Wolf sends

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Most modern video cards fit into a Two Slot configuration. Two cards in SLI would be using 4 slots. Cards that are thicker then two slots usually have a highly customized oversized fan(s). The thicker cards are the exception.

s1luxford

Distinguished
May 9, 2012

I was thinking of trying to SLI two MSI GTX 980ti gaming cards but was concerned they might not fit on the motherboard in the first two PCIE slots as currently I have a R9 290 Sapphire Tri X and this covers the second PCIE slot.