Which alternative is better ? 4GB*2 or 4GB+8GB

IlPrincipino

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Hello, I currently have a Kingston Kvr1333d3n9/4g memory and I want to add more capacity. What would it be better ? To buy another Kvr1333d3n9/4g slot or the Kvr1333d3n9/8g ?
The difference in price between them is about 80 %. Can these models work together ? If so, which option would be better ?
I use the computer to work (software developer) and been feeling lately that the RAM is holding me back.
I'm currently running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. These are my specs:
Gigabyte GA-75M-D3V
Intel I3 2120
Kingston 4gb 1333mhz

Thanks.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If the work is mission-critical, I'd go for the 2nd 4GB stick, matched as close as you can to the 1st stick as per timings, voltage, manufacturer, etc. With a dual channel memory system, you generally want to buy your memory in MATCHED pairs. Dual channel can be very fussy about the pairs being identical in every way. Since your board has only 2 DIMM slots, either try to match the 1st stick, or sell it and buy a matched pair in the size you need.

jefferysummers

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
When you are going to build a memory for your PC. I would say, think about what you need the computer to do and then think some more.Then think about if you are going to upgrade the computer after it is a few years old.If you can answer these questions, you will be on your way to maximizing your PC memory.