[SOLVED] Which AMD Chipset Drivers to install? Confused.

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
I get this on screen:

- AMD GPIO Driver

- AMD GPIO Driver (for Promontory), what on earth does the word Promontory mean?

- AMD SMBus Driver

- AMD PSP Driver

I have a ASUS Prime B450M-A Micro ATX Motherboard, AMD Socket AM4 and a M.2 NVMe SSD Hard Drive and a AMD Ryzen 3 3200G Processor.

I don't like clutter on my PC so which drivers are essential to install to get my PC hardware above to run as it should be? Will installing of them will get me to notice a performance improvement?

Solution
Ok which I choose out of?:
I'm not sure exactly what you are doing but....

Just download the whole package and run the setup, selecting everything. It will detect what you have and install only if it's needed, and further it will install with whatever options (switches) are needed based on what you have. If you happen to be taking the self-extracting archive apart to install each component individually you're just making a whole lot of grief for yourself, and most likely an unstable system too.

In truth, not even every one of them are actual drivers as they aren't actually needed but Microsoft says one has to be installed for every hardware device. So some are what's called a 'nul driver'; does nothing but satisfies the...
I get this on screen:

- AMD GPIO Driver

- AMD GPIO Driver (for Promontory), what on earth does the word Promontory mean?

- AMD SMBus Driver

- AMD PSP Driver

I have a ASUS Prime B450M-A Micro ATX Motherboard, AMD Socket AM4 and a M.2 NVMe SSD Hard Drive and a AMD Ryzen 3 3200G Processor.

I don't like clutter on my PC so which drivers are essential to install to get my PC hardware above to run as it should be? Will installing of them will get me to notice a performance improvement?

Prominatory is just the name for the chipset group.

They will expose you to stability improvements and sometimes performance increases. They are matched to the BIOS AGESA version changes. So if you ever update your Motherboard BIOS (And as an enthusiast, I recommend you do after checking the last valid package for your CPU), the updated drivers will often take advantage of those updated changes. This can include updates to AMD's auto overclocking. For example, after 3000 series came out, a number of people had problems reaching maximum boost clock. AMD did a AGESA update for the BIOS. There was also a fix for USB stability issues on a number of motherboards just recently. (Driver package)

It's always best to install the full set. You will never notice them as they are system level drivers and not apps. They will give you a full feature set along with all the fixes.

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
Prominatory is just the name for the chipset group.

They will expose you to stability improvements and sometimes performance increases. They are matched to the BIOS AGESA version changes. So if you ever update your Motherboard BIOS (And as an enthusiast, I recommend you do after checking the last valid package for your CPU), the updated drivers will often take advantage of those updated changes. This can include updates to AMD's auto overclocking. For example, after 3000 series came out, a number of people had problems reaching maximum boost clock. AMD did a AGESA update for the BIOS. There was also a fix for USB stability issues on a number of motherboards just recently. (Driver package)

It's always best to install the full set. You will never notice them as they are system level drivers and not apps. They will give you a full feature set along with all the fixes.

- AMD GPIO Driver

- AMD GPIO Driver (for Promontory)

Or install both?

When the AGESA update come out?

Any more important updates that not mentioned in this thread so far worthy of doing?

I'm not sure exactly what you are doing but....

Just download the whole package and run the setup, selecting everything. It will detect what you have and install only if it's needed, and further it will install with whatever options (switches) are needed based on what you have. If you happen to be taking the self-extracting archive apart to install each component individually you're just making a whole lot of grief for yourself, and most likely an unstable system too.

In truth, not even every one of them are actual drivers as they aren't actually needed but Microsoft says one has to be installed for every hardware device. So some are what's called a 'nul driver'; does nothing but satisfies the OS. So just install everything and be safe.

The GPIO drivers are General Purpose IO driver, one's needed for the CPU and one's needed for the chipset itself (collectively code named Promontory for AM4). SMBus is the System Management Bus. PSP is AMD's Platform Security Processor (long article about it here).

Last edited:
Solution