Question Which Amd Ryzen 5 Series CPU Is Better For Gaming??

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: JoBalz and Jason H.
I figure it's out of the OP's budget; it's a pretty significant jump for tight budgets.
The much more recent Ryzen 3500 is probably the max budget for the cpu.

I just checked the online store the OP is linking from, and the Ryzen 3600 has an obvious price markup there: https://mdcomputers.in/index.php?route=extension/soconfig/quickview&product_id=10193
~235USD.

See thats why Im a little guy, and ur a big guy lol

I dont take in which country they live in and links and tranfers of how money is in dif countries and websites they can use and all that. Im more of just a USA guy I guess lol. I try though lol.

235$ for a 3600? No lol

Reactions: Ajinkyakore

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
See thats why Im a little guy, and ur a big guy lol

I dont take in which country they live in and links and tranfers of how money is in dif countries and websites they can use and all that. Im more of just a USA guy I guess lol.

235$ for a 3600? No lol
It'll come with time.
I didn't know or think about such things at the start either; I picked it up from others.

Reactions: Jason H.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's worth mentionign that most of the times, Intel still is one step above AMD in gaming; if you want to build a system from scratch strictly for gaming, Intel is (anoter) viable option.
Not 'viable' until 9700K/9900K, and even then, it's not much to write home about.

And something people are already failing to notice with Intel's cheaper I3s and I5s is how quickly they fall off when all their threads are loaded - Ryzen's a better long term investment.

From what I was able to find, Ryzen 3500 is the worst option and should be avoided. It has half the L3 cache of the 3500X and that just outright kills it's gaming potential compared to the other cpus on your list.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

Ajinkyakore

Prominent
Dec 7, 2019
I would still have to know wether he has a dedicated gpu or not though cuz this would drastically affect his decision lol. Hes mixing APUS with CPUS. so idk how to help him without knowing his hardware lol.
currently i have i3 6100 cpu
gigabyte ga b150m d3h mobo
16gb ram
gigabyte gtx1650 super.
i am going to buy msi b450 and amd processor
and I am from India

I would recommend the Ryzen 2700x which was also not on your list, 150$ cpu that I found great when paired with anything from a GTX 1060 6gb to an RTX 2080. No bottleneck with 8 threads for gaming and some other stuff going on in the background. COD MW 120fps at Ultra and Raytracing with the 2080 easy.

From your list I presume you have a B450, X470 or on those line Mobo? Are you looking for 4k gaming and it would also be helpful to know what resolution and refreshrate your monitor has.

Chores

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Search the Gamers Nexus 1600AF review. Dont let the name fool you its an $85 cpu and Zen 2 worth looking into
Not yet available in India.

I would recommend the Ryzen 2700x which was also not on your list, 150$ cpu that I found great when paired with anything from a GTX 1060 6gb to an RTX 2080. No bottleneck with 8 threads for gaming and some other stuff going on in the background. COD MW 120fps at Ultra and Raytracing with the 2080 easy.

From your list I presume you have a B450, X470 or on those line Mobo? Are you looking for 4k gaming and it would also be helpful to know what resolution and refreshrate your monitor has.

Chores
Ryzen 2700X is ~$265USD in India, and considering what the OP initially listed, that's likely out of their budget for the cpu.
Their most expensive listed option is the 3400g at ~$176USD.

It all depends on whether the OP can stretch their budget any further though...

Not yet available in India.

Ryzen 2700X is ~$265USD in India, and considering what the OP initially listed, that's likely out of their budget for the cpu.
Their most expensive listed option is the 3400g at ~$176USD.

It all depends on whether the OP can stretch their budget any further though...

I just cant see buying an apu for processor power when having a dedicated gpu. Half of the cost goes into the graphics part of the processor so technically hes only getting a 80-90$ cpu if he chooses an apu.

He should just wait, save more, and get a 3600.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I just cant see buying an apu for processor power when having a dedicated gpu. Half of the cost goes into the graphics part of the processor so technically hes only getting a 80-90$ cpu if he chooses an apu.
I agree with what you're saying - it's a common issue on low budget builds.
I'm just taking into account the likelihood of the builder having no extra financial headroom.

He should just wait, save more, and get a 3600.
I wish all new builders had this mentality. Then there wouldn't be as many threads here, or elsewhere, where these individuals aren't soon running into hardware limitations because they went too cheap on a build, or couldn't wait to save up more.

That's just my experience with this: most of the threads I've read or assisted with involved already 'stretched thin' budgets.
"Save up some more for something better, you say? No, I can get this or that(most of the time it's worse than what I've suggested) instead for less."
IF the OP can further expand their budget or wait for the more worthwhile part(s) I'm all for it... but then it loops back to the user's mindset.

@Jason H.
Check this recent thread out: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gaming-pc-upgrade-advice-needed.3564954/
I don't feel good at all about the suggestion I made there, but what are the odds they'd be willing to stretch the budget, or wait?

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
are you looking for an APU or a CPU? Do you have a dedicated GPU?

You didnt list it here, but the 3600 is the best R5 cpu when compared to price vs performance.
That is not correct.Hardware unboxed did the test.Dollar per frame R 5 2600 are the best budget cpu.There's even some places that sells it as little as 100 usd.Even on 120 usd it's still cheaper when paired with a lower end gpu.Only difference you will see are on high end gpu's and be real you don't buy a 3600 to pair with a 2080 ti

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
As I posted earlier, it's too late to be considering 4c/4t, or 6c/6t cpus. People just won't get as much longevity out of them now, than if they'd got one like 2-3 years ago.
You've got games out there now - especially the multiplayer ones - that already saturate 6c/6t.
Ryzen 3500 may have the faster single core performance, but that drops off once all 6 threads are full. That will not make for a good long term investment.
Here's a vid of the SLIGHTLY faster 3500X to give you an idea:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz-bHNkwHgI

[Heads up! The guy(Steve) benching the cpus ran with a 2080Ti to reduce or eliminate a gpu limitation, so your results with something like a RX 580, for example, won't look quite like this.
Also, Steve's from Australia, so disregard the pricing comments.]