Which anti virus should I use??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
This is in regards to my new laptop. Its an M1210 XPS Dell from about 3 years ago and I just inherited it from my compulsive buying sister.
And I have a copy of this software that is named Symantics I think its either from 08 or 09( I am not entirely sure which one it is), but then I uninstalled it for the free comcast norton security suite on my desktop.
So right now on my laptop it has McAfee VirusScan Enterprise, and I figure that the comcast virus protection would be better, so which one should I use for now.
I also want to know is what is real good protection for laptops, cause I will be going from hotspot to hotspot so I want to have real good protection, so what do you recommend?? I do encrypt my files and have PW on them also. Anyways it seems that the Norton 360 4.0 is the newest thing out
and I didn't know if it was worth buying.

Solution
Stay with the Norton Security Suite, but do NOT run that and Mcafee together. Remove the Mcafee.

Run the free Malwarebytes roughly weekly just to check things

Make an image of the hard drive on an exterior drive.

Turn off all file and folder sharing in hotspots, have encryption, and don't log on to any personal places, like credit cards or banks.

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Stay with the Norton Security Suite, but do NOT run that and Mcafee together. Remove the Mcafee.

Run the free Malwarebytes roughly weekly just to check things

Make an image of the hard drive on an exterior drive.

Turn off all file and folder sharing in hotspots, have encryption, and don't log on to any personal places, like credit cards or banks.

Solution

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Area51--

Please use your punctuation marks and capitalization more wisely so we can understand what you're writing. The purpose of writing is to communicate. And it will attract attention away from your ugly face.

OP is getting Nortonfree from ISP Comcast, presumably 2010, which is fine. Why should he bother uninstalling and then installing other programs? That would be OK if he weren't getting a free suite already. Common sense.

Salt--
You can chuck the Norton(Symantec) 2008 and 2009, which were awful programs. The first really good one is 2010. but DO NOT run 2 A-V's at the same time. as a double-check, run the free MBAM maybe weekly just to be sure everything is caught.

This issue is resolved. Please choose BEST ANSWER.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Salt--
You can chuck the Norton(Symantec) 2008 and 2009, which were awful programs. The first really good one is 2010. but DO NOT run 2 A-V's at the same time. as a double-check, run the free MBAM maybe weekly just to be sure everything is caught.

I uninstalled the software then installed the free comcast norton suite. I am looking into the all the stuff you said earlier, my WD external was suppose to sync all my stuff, and back it up w/encryption, but its only trial software and want me to pay so either I will pay, or just do it myself.

I will be in hotspots from school to beans n brew/starbucks so I need to make sure I am safe. I have heard some fed up storys of peoples stuff getting jacked. A lot of people think they don't have anything that anyone wants, but name,address, and pic can go a long way for a hacker.

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010

Not any more. It WAS till 2010.
Lab tests from Maximum PC Mag, testing suites. Norton is the real surprise here, but they finally got their act together:

1. Norton internet Security 2010
2. ESET Smart Security 4
3. Avira Antivir Free Edition
4. Microsoft Securit Essentials
5. AVAST! internet security
6. McAfee Internet Security 2010
7. Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 3.0
8. Bitdefender Internet Security 2010
9. Panda Internet Security 2010
10. Comodo Internet Security Pro

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
The norton 2010 is the 360 right?
Well I installed the malwarebytes, and I was just looking through the firewall one. I just want to make sure I have good protection.
Yeah I might something in the future buy for now I am only looking for free software.
I actually don't mind the free comcast software it works just fine.

Salt-City_Slasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
So far so good, I am writing a school paper thats is: built compuers vs. building your own computer. and Built computers is the past, and isn't even an option.
Yeah I am going to get the firewall pc tools plus, it seems pretty good.

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Not everyone can build a computer, so it might not be an opti0on for you, but for millions of others. But I'm not getting into your paper, as that's not an issue here.

If you use Comcast's free Norton, DO NOT use a second firewall. Either choose separate components OR stay with a suite, not a combo of the 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS