Which ASUS Laptop to buy?

shk1020

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
I am by no means knowledgeable about PCs or know when/what to buy. This is going to be my 2nd-3rd PC (laptop), which is my own - had shared computers/laptops with family before. I figured if you guys can provide me with your opinion, I will have a better chance of getting what I want for the money i will be spending.

The last laptop I had was a Toshiba Sattelite, which was bought back in early 2007. It has lasted through all of my college days and up until now. Still works now, but its really slow (probably due to vista?) and running on its last legs.

My object with the new laptop is to have something similar, a decent powerful laptop that will last me a few good years (at least 5+) just as my Toshiba did. I am not a gamer (at least not a high end gamer - yet), but I do plan on doing some 3D modeling for work related things. I intend to use the laptop as a desktop replacement but would still like it to be portable, which is why i am looking for a "laptop".

So let me get started about my choices. I have narrowed it down to 2 laptops (of the same brand and almost same model) after doing research on laptops for a week or so. Please see the two laptops below:

Asus - ROG 17.3" Laptop - 16GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
Model: G750JX-DB71
SKU: 9560043
Sale: $1,748.99

Pros:
- Cheaper than the other option
- I think I have the option to replace the 1TB HDD with a SDD if I wish

Cons:
- The other option has better upgrades (but the price - is it worth it for $500?)

Asus - ROG 17.3" Laptop - 24GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive + Dual 128GB Solid State Drives
Model: G750JH-DB71
SKU: 9560034
Sale: $2,249.99

Pros:
- 4GB graphics card (is it dedicated or integrated?) and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M (other laptop has 770M)
- the two 128GB SSD are raid-0 - whatever that means
- Wireless-A+B+G+N (vs the other only have AC) - again dont know what this means lol
- Blu-ray player
- 24GB RAM (vs 16GB) - not a concern here, was eventually going to upgrade to 32GB after a few months for both laptops anyway

Cons:
- Apparently, we cant upgrade the 2 128GB SSD because its proprietary to ASUS?
- PRICE!!
- im sure there are others...

I like both laptops, but i just cant decide which will be better long-term. Is the $500 extra worth it for the G750JH or should I just go with the G750JX?

FYI:
There were other brands I had done research on, such as MSI / Alienware / CyberPowerPC - but due to not knowing their "brand" name that well, I decided not to choose them. Heck even ASUS is pretty new to me lol. The only other laptop which came close to contention with my final choice was RAZER Blade (and its Pro version). In the end I decided the price of that PC was too much and ASUS was a better brand name than RAZER (for now at least).

If you feel that another PC (any brand) will suite me better, please feel free to let me know. I am not set on stone in these two laptops. Its just what I have narrowed it down to on my minimal knowledge.

Finally, thank you for spending a few minutes for reading this post and providing any advice you can! I do appreciate the help!!

shk1020

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
anyone willing to help advise me on the laptops mentioned above?

i am even more concerned about the raid-0 ssd drives.