Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
2,2 GHz and 512kb L2 is better

------------
<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A>

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig</A> & <A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/benchmark.html" target="_new">3DMark score</A>

endyen

Splendid
If you OC, the 1 meg (clawhammer) is better, as it can be run at a higher fsb due to extra size. The extra cache helps as well. There are progs that make better use of speed, and progs that make better use of cache. Most games like cache.

peteroy

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 14, 2004
More L2 cache is always better.

Better to have more L2 cache that 200mhz faster chip.

The reason Pentium 4 Extreme Edition is so good is because it has 2MB L3 cache.

<A HREF="http://www.clan-chaos.com" target="_new">clan CHAOS</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by PeteRoy on 07/06/04 10:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

gobeavers

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
Intel chips are different than AMD chips.

"This means that you can play over a network, just not with each other."-PC GAMER review

songoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
what are you going to be using the system for? (IE Gamming, multimedia, etc)

Main System Specs
AMD Athlon64 3200
Asus K8V SE Deluxe
ATI Radeon 9800XT
Kingston Hyperx 1GB
SB Audigy
SATA150 TX2plus
WD740GD
Samsung 172X

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
well the p4ee may get help agaisnt the p4, but it isnt enough for it to beat the lower clocked and lower cache of the athlon fx. so its hard to say if its the cache or simply a better core.

sinstar

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004
For games and watching videos. Probably for video and photo editing. Also I have to do some C programming.

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
As I understand it the newcastle core is a bit faster stock. I got the clawhammer core and plan to overclock it to the same speed as the newcastle eventually.

From what I have gathered from asking questions and reading mostly on this forum:
the athlons (at least this seemed to be the consensus for the xps) respond better to higher core clocks than added cache. That was to say the athlon xp guides seemed to indicate getting the higher clock was better price/performance than moving up to the next cpu with higher cache. This is due to the performance ratings of the cpus. Check out this chart:
<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040601/socket_939-06.html" target="_new">http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040601/socket_939-06.html</A>
If you look down at the xp cpus (not the a64s) notice the 2400+, 2500+, 2600+, 2700+, 2800+. The chart is a bit confusing to read as the higher cached 512 cores are listed above the lower cached 256 cores. I think the consensus on this forum was the higher speed was generally better than the higher cache..so go for the higher speed cpu that was a few bucks cheaper than the next pr rating number cpu which only moved up the cache and perhaps even lowered the clock speed.

Now as far as the athlon 64 3200+ goes they are both roughly the same price. The clawhammer core is being phased out on this cpu. I think the newcastle core is faster if you do not plan to overclock (although I must confess this is total hearsay on my part). However if you overclock the clawhammer core 200mhz...viola you have a 2200mhz 1mb l2 cache processor (=same speed/cache rating as athlon 64 3400+ which cost about $130 more than the 3200+) I am told this is a pretty easy overclock and I think can be done relatively safely with the stock (boxed retail) fan/heatsink.
The clawhammer is still available I believe. But according to amd:

___________________
Hello,

Thank you for contacting AMD's Technical Service Center.

1 & 2) Yes, the clawhammer will be discontinued or may have been discontinued
at this time.

3) You may try shopping online at www.pricewatch.com to find the clawhammer
that you so desire.

4) AMD does not label the processors as a 512 or 1MB L2 cache on account of the
performance model number of the chips. In other words, a 3200 processor with
1MB of L2 cache performs equal to a 3200 with a 512KB L2 cache. This is
achieved because of the clock speed increase for the lower cached parts. Thus,
the 1MB part runs at 2GHz, where as the 512KB part runs at 2.2GHz. Both of
these chips are competitvely compared to a 3.2GHz processor, regardles of the
cache.

My apologies, but AMD's TSC does not carry where to buy information, therefore,
we do not have information regarding where to buy the processor with the Farcry
offer. Again, try www.pricewatch.com to find this offer.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact
me.

Sincerely,
Jeff
Customer Support Analyst
AMD TSC
------------------------------
also I found this chart someone linked useful:
<A HREF="http://www.amdboard.com/amd64_opn.html" target="_new">http://www.amdboard.com/amd64_opn.html</A>
monarch computer still has some clawhammers I think:
here

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_C
ode=M&Product_Code=120708

These OPNs are Clawhammer and the "5" in the OPN denotes 1Mb L2 cache...

ADA3200AEP5AP
ADA3200AEP5AR