Which ATI Silencer?

sturm

Splendid
I have a built by ATI 9800 Pro 256mb video card. I ordered the ATI Silencer 3 from Newegg becasue it was the only one that said it was compatible with the 256mb version.
Well it doesn't fit. 3 of the four posts match up. The fourth post is off by about 1/2 inch.
The artic cooling site only lists the silencer 1 for 9800 pro but doesnt say anything about the 256mb version.
I have heard that many of the 9800 pro 256mb cards well the same as the 9800xt just lower clock speeds.
Does anyone know which version will fit my card? My main objective for getting it was to help lower the heat in the case. Overclocking was a possible future endeavor.
Any help is appreciated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If two posts are located across the center you should be able to get by with only two. Three would offset the load to one side.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

sturm

Splendid
The 2 post for the gpu were correct. The 2 posts that held the rest of the heat sink on the covered some of the memory chips are the ones that didnt match up. Unfortunatly you coudnt do just the gpu. Its one solid piece. I could have cut off the fourth post then it wouldnt have sat correctly with even pressure on the the memory chips.
I already returned it to newegg. I guess ill just do with out one.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Zalman's semi-eliptical coolers provide good cooling at low noise, if you're simply looking for a quiet solution. You can read the Fatal1ty cooler review at SysOpt, though I think I'd go with a less expensive version using the same sink.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>