Which Audio is Better (P5K Premium or Deluxe)?

mis33

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
I am looking for a MB for a new PC with Q6600. I preferred Asus because I had 3 Asus MB before and they were quite reliable. I was deciding on either P5K or P5K-Deluxe.

I plan to use this PC for a few years without upgrade so reliability is very important. I plan on moderate OC (10-15%) only and I do not plan to use Raid, Wi-Fi, 2nd LAN . I know I should get the regular P5K but I have challenge to find any review on the regular P5K.

I went to the store today and I found another variation of P5K, the Premium! I checked and the only difference I could find was the audio. Which audio is better?

Deluxe:
ADI® AD1988B 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Coaxial / Optical S/PDIF out ports at back I/O
- ASUS Noise Filter

Premium:
Realtek ALC 883, 8-channel High-Definition Audio CODEC
- Support Jack-Sensing, Enumeration, Multi-streaming
- Coaxial / Optical S/PDIF out ports at back I/O

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
From what i can see according to ASUS's website the deluxe and premium both ahve the ADI and the P5K is the only one in the range to have the Realtek i believe the ADI would be slightly better however probably not noticable.

If you are looking at OC i would go with the Premium or Deluxe as the heatpiping on those models will keep the board cooler as well as i think the BIOS offers better OC stepping options.

I have the P5K-E Wifi model and love it , although this is missing the added heat pipe and dual lan however, OC stepping is still good.

Hope this helps

damianicus

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
What I worry about with these Asus motherboards is when you plug in a big honkin' 10.5" 8800GTX will it cover up important things like those SATA ports?

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

good point, my come back would be you have 2 x 16times slots, if it got in the road in one slot why not use the other?