[SOLVED] Which Audio Jack Should I Be Using For Combined Subwoofer/Peripheral Speakers?

Hunter1122

Honorable
Sep 22, 2016
I have the Logitech z313 (https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/speaker-system-z313), which has a single 3.5mm jack for both the subwoofer and 2 peripheral speakers. The sound card in my desktop seems to be dying (~50/50 it loses the driver on reboot), so I'm getting another sound card to bypass it. On my current board one of the 6 jacks is a different color and just says L-Out, and I've been using that one. But most of the cards I am finding have dedicated subwoofer and front speaker jacks.

Which jacks should I be using for these speakers, or is there some sort of splitter I should get?

Thanks for any advice!

Solution
This sounds similar to the Z-906 that I have, where everything connects to the sub. In any case, the system is meant to be self contained. 2.1 systems generally only plug into a stereo output and do not use any more channels beyond that.

If you're wondering how the subwoofer is getting anything, it's likely combining the stereo channel then running it through a low-pass filter to get the low frequencies.

Hunter1122

Honorable
Sep 22, 2016
Sorry, I probably should have been more detailed in the speaker system.
The 'wired remote' cord on the subwoofer is actually what goes to the computer port, whereas 'speaker output' goes to the front speakers. So, omitting the remote as that is just a power/volume controller, the line is:
Desktop out -> subwoofer -> front speakers

This sounds similar to the Z-906 that I have, where everything connects to the sub. In any case, the system is meant to be self contained. 2.1 systems generally only plug into a stereo output and do not use any more channels beyond that.

If you're wondering how the subwoofer is getting anything, it's likely combining the stereo channel then running it through a low-pass filter to get the low frequencies.

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
This speaker set really is using input only from the front left and right speaker channels. It re-routes the low-frequency portions of both those chanels to the sub-woofer. So in the configuration settings in your computer audio system, set that to send out signals just to a 2-speaker (left and right front) stereo system. On your back panel, that normally is the light lime green jack.

Last edited: