Question Which best-value GPU to buy?

CluelessPCGamer

Commendable
Apr 29, 2019
Hi guys, I have yet another "which GPU to buy?" thread for you. I'm looking for a new GPU to throw into my older build, I've been looking at RX Vega 64s, RTX 2070s and 1070TI, but I find a lot conflicting information about which to choose. My current build is as follows; i7 4770k @ 3.7Ghz, 16GB DDR3 G.Skill TridentX @ 2400Mhz, 2x Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSDs, and I'm upgrading from an old GTX 780.

What am I looking to play with a new GPU? I'm hoping that I can get a good value card which can enable me to play Star Citizen at very high settings with decent FPS, first in 1080p then 1440p when I get around to getting new a new monitor.

What do you guys think?

CluelessPCGamer

Commendable
Apr 29, 2019
Is it the old cx series corsair? if so just change it and get a rm750x or something better, i would rather pay for a high end tier power supply with a gpu instead of a low power supply.

Yeah, it's the old series. I'm considering purchasing the RTX 2070 now, and then a new PSU in june. My current PSU should probably make due until then

Any of the graphics cards you are considering will be a nice upgrade over your current GTX780.
Your 750w psu can run any of them.
While the CX750 is not considered as high quality, it is not a dangerous unit either.
Since the psu has been working for you, I see no need to replace it prematurely.
If it should fail, then is the time to buy a new unit.

As to which specific card I suggest a EVGA card in the GTX1070ti class.
EVGA has a free 90 day upgrade program in case you should reconsider and want a stronger card.
A slightly overclocked version is good value, I would not chase the maximally overclocked versions.

Reactions: CluelessPCGamer

CluelessPCGamer

Commendable
Apr 29, 2019
Any of the graphics cards you are considering will be a nice upgrade over your current GTX780.
Your 750w psu can run any of them.
While the CX750 is not considered as high quality, it is not a dangerous unit either.
Since the psu has been working for you, I see no need to replace it prematurely.
If it should fail, then is the time to buy a new unit.

As to which specific card I suggest a EVGA card in the GTX1070ti class.
EVGA has a free 90 day upgrade program in case you should reconsider and want a stronger card.
A slightly overclocked version is good value, I would not chase the maximally overclocked versions.

I chose to go with the Gigabyte RTX 270 Gaming 8G, I couldn't find a webshop in my country that had a 1070TI in stock, but I found a great deal on the 2070 for the equivalent of $585. I'm gonna go with the CX750 for now, because as you said, when I thought about it, my PSU has run perfectly fine for going on 5 years now, even if it isn't a high end model.

Thank you all for your assistance, it was greatly appreciated! :)