which brand HD 38070 X2 did you order?

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
ok if you did not order a card do not post please - why did you order the one you did?

- THIS IS FOR PEOPLE WHO ORDERED THE CARD ONLY!

i ordered the HIS - dumb me i like the free gift! i should got one with nice graphics!

ps get the asus its got a free game! already sold out!

bravo29

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
I ordered the sapphire but kick my self in the ass for not getting the asus. The Asus came with a game I dont own. Now the Asus is out of stock and I cant change my order. Only went with sapphire because it's all I own in GPU's.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
ya me too - the asus did not show up when i ordered from newegg. then when i check my order and looked the specs the asus came up with the free game

newegg - egged me again

the asus is instock at zipzzomer at $499

Seraphic

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
I made an order for the Sapphire one as well as I heard that was the better bet with ATI brand cards. However, after talking to the online store where I made the order, it seems that ALL of the first batch of 3870X2s came from ATI. The ATI card makers then just add their logo's and bundles and sell it as their own. Is that correct?

Anyway, I put my Sapphire order on hold due to the fact as I was having second thoughts on what one to order. The retail store said I could change it to an Asus or VisionTek 3870X2 versions. I was looking at the VisionTek because it as a LIFETIME warranty. However, when I called VisionTek, they said it was is voided when you overclock. But how could they tell if the card was overclocked? Overclocking also seems to void the two year warranty from Sapphire. But again, how could they ever tell as long as you return the card to default speeds before you send it in for service?

hcforde

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
At the level of technology we are in today I would guess that they have ways of telling if a card has been overclocked. That said, doesn't Catalyst driver package provide the consumer with overclocking tools?

hcforde

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
I want to order this ASUS card EAH3870X2/G/3DHTI/1G. This is the one with 4 DVI ports. It also looks like it has heatpipes for cooling. You cant see them unless you get a look at the end of the card.

ALSO

Most cards out of the block are what are called reference designs. It is a quick way to get up and out the door with a product. Nvidia cards and motherboards use the same approach. The 680i was a reference design that a number of people just had their name put on it, but they all came from the same factory. Don't quote me but I think Foxconn made them.

Tsukasa

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
Grabbed the Asus 3870x2 from Newegg for $449 this morning about half an hour after they listed them :D

I'll be enjoying my free game when it gets here Today (overnight ship). It was pretty much anything other than Diamond, as I was advised against getting that brand for some reason or another. I'll be water cooling the thing so cover art didn't really play a role - Though the Asus sticker wasn't to bad looking. :p

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I used the CD ones to start with, im downloading the newest ones off the site but ide quite like to wait for someone else to try them before i do just in case there are bugs!

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Depending on its price *fingers crossed* I might look at getting the Gecube version. It has a different cooling system to the other cards it looks like it has two Zalman V900 fitted to it.

bravo29

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
Thats what I was going to put on mine. But waiting to see if anybody has the guts to do this right off the bat after getting one.

Seraphic

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
I changed my Sapphire 3870 X2 order to an Asus 3870 X2. It comes with a free game and wallet, plus, over-clocking does not void their three year warranty!

However, after looking over the ASUS forum it seems the controller for the fan on the ASUS 3870 X2 doesn't work? It has an issue with the bios? If that correct? If so, what is the fix?

bravo29

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
Mine get bumped to other pc's in my office (I 3 box eq2). The 2 1650 pros ddr3 I replaced with my 3850's will get put onto ebay.

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Of my old cards i have a broken PNY Geforce 6 series, my broken 3870s got refunded (only 3 broken in the past year or so!) and i have my old AGP Winfast 7600GT still sitting in my old computer...may try to sell it as its a complete system except for HDs and still works fine (even plays Crysis on low with main textures on medium)!

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Asus, the game decided it for me. I must have been one of the last ones to get this off Newegg because it was gone pretty shortly after. Who knows maybe I'll even use the wallet.