Which brand & model of server should I get?

activegalaxys

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017
Hi, I'm in need of a cheap tower server. I've seen all the brands out there (HP, Dell, etc.) but can't figure out what is which.

Any help would be appreciated!

Solution
Hmm... The best answer for data storage is a NAS - but apparently BOINC won’t run on a NAS.

Might just get small tower (not server) and add a second hard drive for a raid 0 setup (if you need the data available at all times). Much cheaper than a server.

Still need the data backed up externally even with raid 0.

activegalaxys

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017

All I really need it to do is to act as a file server (my plan is to use Ubuntu & Samba) and is able to run BOINC. I have almost 200 gigabytes of data. :p

Hmm... The best answer for data storage is a NAS - but apparently BOINC won’t run on a NAS.

Might just get small tower (not server) and add a second hard drive for a raid 0 setup (if you need the data available at all times). Much cheaper than a server.

Still need the data backed up externally even with raid 0.

Solution

activegalaxys

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017

Thanks for the help! I'll take a look around. Maybe an old HP XW-Series workstation will do...

Careful with those old servers. Many of them use a lot of power. Even on idle. You could conceivably waste a few hundred dollars per year on electricity. Get something like a Coffee Lake Pentium and a cheap motherboard. Making for a low cost and energy efficient system. Short term costs aren't so bad and long term costs are far lower. When it comes to new vs old equipment which runs 24/7. It's usually cheaper long term to use new equipment due to energy efficiency.

If you're going run Ubuntu. You may as well build it yourself. The tough part is installing an OS. Which you will be doing in either scenario. Simple LEGO sets are more challenging than assembling a computer.